Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Lighted Nock Version 2.0

Critter

Life Member
Well.....after reading Super's post on the lighted nock's I thought I'd tinker around with a couple leftover Thill lights I had in my slip bobber tackle box. I like the idea of the lighted nock's, but didn't want to sit in the stand for 10 hours with one glowing the whole time, especiall during dawn and dusk. I used the same principle as the previous post, except I drilled all the way through the nock and then glued the light inside the nock leaving enough of the tip extending into the string saddle to allow the string to turn the light on when shot. I then trimmed down one side of the nock a little bit so that I could reach the plastic that runs around the light. After digging at it a little I was able to pop the light back up and get it to turn off. I shot it three times and it seemed to work fine. On a sidenote......if you try it like this, make sure you glue the light in the nock very well. I ruined one light because I just tacked the edges thinking it would be enough to hold the light inside the nock. After the shot, I found my light lit up inside the shaft down by the insert.
grin.gif
You really need to glue the light along it's whole shaft before inserting it into the nock, just make sure none gets on the light tip itself. If you weren't concerned about ever shutting the light off, and were just saving it for that "magical" shot, you wouldn't have to worry about trimming down the one side of the nock, you just wouldn't be able to ever turn it off. One other thing, if you apply a small amount of pressure with your thumb against the light tip all the way around it, the light turns on and off much easier. If anyone else tries it this way and finds an easier way to do it, let me know, I'd appreciate it.
CRITR
790Lighted_Nock_005.jpg

790Lighted_Nock_004.jpg

Jamie - I thought about doign that, but shooting 72 pounds I am leary about drilling all the way through the nock, weaking it. I understand you glued it all the way around, But I just dont know about it. I am going to get a black nock and try drilling the hole a little deeper into the nock. Hope to get rid of the "RUDOLPH EFFECT".

I thought about the problem myself Chad, but I think the nock is stronger now than it was before to be honest with ya. As long as the force of the string stays on the center of the nock I don't think it will hurt anything.(I hope)
grin.gif

CRITR

I drilled mine all the way through but didn't let the light project out the end. Might try one your way to see how it works.

I was wondering if I could rig it with a contact point inside the arrow shaft. Cover the battery housing with electrical tape except for a small spot at the top and figure out some way to add a small piece of aluminum inside the shaft and twist the nock to turn it on. Just a thought. It might be all but impossible to do. How do those lighted nocks you buy work? Do they switch on and off or are they pull out types like the home made version?

I heard that those store bought ones turn on and off by a magnet on the riser. As it passes over it (shooting) the magnet turns it on.

Tracer nock uses a magnet and the Lumenok turns on by motion. I have used both and the lumenok is in my opinion the way to go. I am shooting easton axis and also a/c/c s and the tracer is the only company that produced a nock for these arrows.

I've tried the burt coyote ones, they are a POS in my opinion. I have three that worked for about 3 shots a piece, then took a dump. I will be using the supertec nock this fall.
grin.gif

I tried something tonight and it was a blast. I took a white papermate pen and removed the insides. I dropped a Thill light in the end and put the cap back on and stuck it in my target. It was dark out when I did this and I shut off all the yard lights. I turned my lighted nock on and my lighted site pin and went back to 30 yards and aimed for the glowing red dot on my target. It was slick watching that red line streak towards the target and then have two red lights glowing side by side. You can sure see your arrow flight with those nocks. I'm going to video tape it and watch it in super slow-mo to see if I can pick up any weirdness in my arrow flight.

Top Bottom