Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Lighted nocks or not???

What's your opinions on shooting them? I'm thinking about trying them but wondered if they would affect accuracy because of the added weight to the tail end of the arrow. If you like them what's the best brands?

Thanks

Shoot em! They are great for tracking your arrow to the deer. I didn't notice a difference when I put them in my arrows. Elumanock for me.

I'm trying nockturnals this year. Shot tracers last few years. The batteries seem to go dead on them. Shot lumeinocks a few years back. Couldn't get them to light up consistently.

Mobile Cooter

I'm trying nockturnals this year. Shot tracers last few years. .

Mobile Cooter

Love my nockturnals and they weight 19 grains which honestly wont affect much in the way of yor accuracy if you spine is ok etc.

FOC isnt that important anyway and is splitting hairs in many instances-10-15% is just fine.:way:

I'm trying nockturnals this year. The batteries seem to go dead on them. Shot lumeinocks a few years back. Couldn't get them to light up consistently.

I use NockTurnals too. I haven't found that they effect accuracy at all.
Plus they're easy to install, idiot proof as far as lighting up (which is nice for some of us, myself included :grin:), easy to turn off & the battery life is awesome.
I'll never say never, but I really can't imagine anything coming out that would ever make me use another brand.

As far as lighted nocks in general go, I can't see any negative to using them, but IMO there are a lot of positives:
-You can track arrow flight easier during practice
-When hunting it's much easier to find your arrow after a pass thru or miss
- And you can more easily find out not only if you hit the animal, but it gives you a much better idea where since most shots are taken during fading light

So ya....I'm a fan!

Last edited:
whats the best way of getting NockTurnals out of the arrow shaft? wanting to transfer them to my hunting arrows and theyre pretty snug and im kind of nervous to grab ahold with pliers and rip em out

whats the best way of getting NockTurnals out of the arrow shaft? wanting to transfer them to my hunting arrows and theyre pretty snug and im kind of nervous to grab ahold with pliers and rip em out

If they're that sung, put a cloth around the nock to pad it and lightly & carefully turn it & work it out with a pliers.
Grabbing ahold of it with a pliers & ripping em out might cause damage!

Cloth is a great idea but I am lazy ...so just use pliers with gentle pressure and turning will get them out :) Cloth is better idea though!

I have shot two deer and a bear with the Lumenoks. I love being able to see the hit so much better! The onjly thing I noticed is that when it goes through the animal is has turned the nock off. I suppose there is just enough pressure to pull it back out a little. I don't think that is going to happen all the time but right now I am 3 for 3 on them turning off when they go through.

I've shot Lumenoks for the last 3 years. Never had one fail on me but have heard stories of them not turning on from friends. I have had a couple in practice that when they hit the target they have shut off. Another reason I love shooting lighted nocks is because when you get a new dozen arrows there is always one or two that seems not to shoot as true as the rest. You will see any kick in arrow flight when practicing. Also you will be able to tell right away if your bow is not properly tuned or your not getting sufficient fletch clearance. I'm interested in these nocturnals that people are talking about and may give them a try this year. I don't want to like them then have a dozen lumenoks that I just don't use or throw away. They are kinda pricey.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I'm liking the sound of the Nocturnals. Are they activated by string pressure or by passing over a magnet? I saw some in a store a few weeks ago but can't remember what brand they were. What I liked about them was they came with 2 practice nocks so you didn't have to shoot the live ones everytime and they were activated by passing over a magnet so you didn't have to worry about them shutting off in target impact.

Those are the tracers that use the magnet. I think tracers came out with a new one this year call the LiR that has a replaceable lithium battery.

Nockturnal

Tracers

The problem I had with the tracer was getting turned on accidentally during the day. When you can't see they are on and the battery runs dead.

It was nice to be sitting in the tree look over at your quiver and have one blinking on and off.

Mobile Cooter

Last edited:
Well I guess I was wrong. My son got out of his treestand at dark last night and he was near where I shot my buck on Tuesday night when he saw somehting glowing on the ground. It was the back half of my arrow with the Lumenok still glowing. I shot the buck on Tuesday night, he found the arrow by the glowing nock on Saturday night. That's pretty amazing!

I really like the Nokturnals, but for me, they drop quite a bit more at long ranges than normal nocks do. Do plenty of shooting with them pre season if you decide to go that route.

Just remember your animals wouldn't be eligible for Pope & Young if shot with lighted knocks. This was brought up at the P&Y convention and it may change in the future to allow them but for now not.

Top Bottom