Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

LimbChicken...

G

GunnerJon

Just wanted to say that I have looked at your website in the past and I think it is awesome. I have thought about doing the same thing. My only question is....how do you get all that time off of work?! I hope I choose a career that allows me alot of time off to hunt deer and turkey.....
Good luck and good hunting!

-GunnerJon

GunnerJon,
Thank you for the kind words. Unfortunately my website's days are numbered. Apple wants to start charging me to host my site and I am not ready to part with the money... that is a different discussion.

I am very fortunate to have a job (graphic designer) that allows me to take a great deal of time off when I want. My busy time is during the summer months and from Jan to Mar. So that allows me a great deal of time during the fall and spring to spend time in the woods, water and fields. I decided very early in life I was not going to make my work my life. You need to work to live but don't need to live your work. Everything is about balance. I have met too many people in my life that are always going to pursue their interests 'when they get the time' and by the time they have the 'time' to do it they are too old and two thirds of their life is gone. I don't want to be that person. Everyone has different values and interests it is important to sit down and decide what is important to you now, what will be important to you in the future and sit down five years from now and do that again. Some will change some will not. So my advice to you is to make a plan to achieve your goals, change it as you change (values, family, faith, ect...) and you will get there. I could sit here and teach you graphic design 101 but you may not have a passion for design like I do as a matter of fact it may bore you to tears.

I am getting long winded and my soap box is starting to crack so I will get down and let the many other talented people that visit and run this site reply. I know you are on the right track by asking questions and planning your career. I am interested to hear some of the other guys comments. Good Luck and again thanks for the kind words on my website.
grin.gif

LimbChicken

Thanks for your insights, I know that when I get out of college here in the next few years I want to go into the conservation field of some kind....but I absolutely don't want it to consume my life, I always want to have time to chase bucks and longbeards. Oh, and by the way.....I have a brother-in-law and sister that are graphic designers.....you have a really interesting profession. Thanks again for the wise words. Good luck and good hunting!

-GunnerJon

All,

Limb Chicken...you've hit the nail on the head. I am a teacher (which doesn't allow the time off that some other jobs would) but I annually ask my senior students to consider the question: "Are you living to work or working to live ??" This is a huge philosophical question everyone must anwwer for themselves, but don't neglect it. I love my work and can't envision myself doing anything else, but if I could cast a vote today for 3 day weekends in October, November and December I'd do it in a heart-beat
smile.gif

Anyway, keep Limb's advice in mind as it is solid. Or, as "Arrowsmith" put it in a different thread..."Don't stop living just to stay alive!!". Good Hunting this fall!

P.S.

Limb...sorry to hear about your website changes. I too enjoyed it. Also, thanks for your help and encouragement with my recent bow problems. Tonight (Wednesday) is a week since my bow blew up, and I finally have a new bow that is reasonably close to shooting groups that I was used to before. Now I think I'm ready for October 1 !!

Top Bottom