Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Lime spreading

bbloom96

I am fairly new to the food plot scene here in Iowa. I have 360 acres, 60 in cash rent crops, 100 in Brome CRP, 125 in timber, now I am working on 20 Acres of food plots. My first soil samples show the need for 3500lbs lime/acre. Thats 70,000 lbs!! What are the options for spreading 70,000 lbs of lime here in Decatur/Ringgold counties. Who should I contact? Several of the plots are tucked away and may be difficult to access by larger trucks. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance

I am in your boat with knowledge. I stopped by my co-op, you obviously have one in your area, asked them, they gotter done for me, no problem what-so-ever! If you asked 5 farmers in the area, I bet you could also get 2 or 3 names of people who would do it. There's ways and equipment to help on the access front- smaller tractors, 4-wheelers, floaters, etc. The people you find above will or should have solutions. I am sure other people will post here with many other good ideas. Good luck and have fun!

We use the Leon MFA they have always been very helpfull and closest to us they are on the North side of Leon. Here is their contact info. They could also point you in the right direction if they are to far for you.

MFA Agri Service
(641) 446-4894
18865 Us Highway 69
Leon, IA 50144

Also, you can contact Schildberg's. They do alot of lime spreading in that area. They are cheap and do a good job.

Thanks for the information. I tried our coop, but they are so backed up they couldn't do it. The closest quarry will dump a load but not spread it. I do have a 900lb 3 pt spreader, but 70,000 lbs is a little much. I will try your suggestions.

Thanks again,

B

Where and what is Schildberg's? I tried searching the internet and yellow pages but could only find an autoparts store.

Thanks

Schildbergs construction. Based out of Greenfield, they have quarrys everywhere. You will need to get ahold of Elden Jones, if you need his #, send me a pm and I will get you his info.

Top Bottom