Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Little Buddy Heater

Iowabowtech

Anybody ever try one of these? Are they quiet, provide decent warmth? I was thinking they might be the cat's meow for winter blind hunting since that topic has come up recently.

base_media

They work really well. I don't own one but have seen them used and buddies like them. When you are in the blind you can hear the fuel burning noise slightly like a lantern but its not bad. I think it seems worse than it really is just because you are paranoid about spooking deer. You can hear it, but I highly doubt a deer could hear it 20 yards away. I think they are noisier turning on then when actually running. I am sure others will have better opinions. I'd use one though if I had a good set up for it.

I hunted with a guy last year who had one in the blind with us. It worked great! I never really noticed any noise from it.

Took out the double bull and heater last December on a day cold as hell. The heater kept it just tolerable, but far from toasty. I was envisioning ice shack warmth. I thought it would work better. I even covered most of the blind with snow. Most of heat just escaped I guess. I have heard others have had success. Might have to try it again. I was a windy day and may that was part of the problem.

I have the 9,000 BTU and 18,000 BTU models and love them. They have low oxygen safety and tip over safety (not sure about the small one in the picture). Two tips if you are using it in a cloth type ground blind when brutally cols put it behind you and cover up with a blanket the heat will radiate up through the chair and be trapped. Second bring a long nose lighter (keep it warm so it will light) as the igniters are the loud snap type. In a enclosed blind you will have condensation on the windows as water is a byproduct of combustion so remember you will have to deal with that. They should be vented a little to help rid the excess water and a some ventilation.

winter14.jpg

I have this model and am on my 4th year of using it. Performs flawlessly, and is the perfect size to keep a ground blind comfortable for late season. It still isnt going to allow you to go without warm clothes, so my advice, is that the small one you are looking at is too small for late season. Remember, blinds are still open with windows and are not insulated.

Top Bottom