Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

little help

Ok getting frustrated fired one off on a buck at 20 broadside he wasn't alerted but jumped and I haunches him waited an hour and lost blood after like 500 yards or so. Had like 6" of arrow showing and didn't sound like I hit none. Am I screwed? He walked after like 20 and never did lay down

The only vital area you are going to hit that far back is an artery and if it wasn't dead in an hour, it will probably live to see another day.

how lond did you wait after looking? did you hit him high in the shoulder blade? if you put a good shot on him i would keep looking, the arrow or maybe some fat might have clogged the whole. I would take a couple buddies out and follow the path you think the deer went and do a grid search of the area. i think if you had only 6 inches showing then you got good enough penatration to kill it, just depends on if you hit anything lethal.

Sounds like a gut shot or liver hit to me. I'd look for the nearest water source if you want any chance to find him.

Not to be an a$$ but you posted yesterday or the day before on how you were all pissed off because you missed three bucks in a row, and then come to find out your rest was faulty, now you have wounded a buck after "firing off an arrow at it". As bowhunters we all know that wounding deer will happen, but somebody has to say it... Do you practice your bow?

Ok I expected that one.. I hit regular 3-4 inch patterns at 30 yards . When I shot his hips were behind a tree if I didn't think I was capable I wouldn't be out tbere. He jumped forward on release and caught it in the hip

You have a lot more going on there then just the deer jumping forward, your going to have to take your lumps a bit.

A deer jumping the string at 20 yards wouldn't be that far off if you were shooting a 750 grain arrow out of a long bow.

As long as you didn't hit the femoral artery or guts he will prob live.

Femoral artery, and he wouldn't have gone more than 50 yards.

Guts, he is/will be dead sometime in the next two weeks.

Do you think you got him in guts, or back in the hams? If you got the guts he should be dead near water tomorrow morning. In the hams..he lives.

Ya you're screwed 500 yards and lost blood you were probably jumping him the whole time trailing him. Dead or alive he is miles away by now.

Saw the arrow out of the ham but thanks for replies far as I know I did things right. Frustrated enough as is but lesson learned posting.

Dont worry the first buck i shot at i clipped him the first shot, second shot i Just completly missed. Second buck i shot high into the shoulder blade. Never Found em. Makes me sick thinkin about them but stay after it, its tough mentally and physically. I wanted to give up so much. Just go over your mechanics.

Saw the arrow out of the ham but thanks for replies far as I know I did things right. Frustrated enough as is but lesson learned posting.

I hit one once on a quartering away angle and hit him directly in the ham. It was my fault I pulled the shot in the excitement.

Backed out and came back 6 hrs later. Found him after a very difficult 800 yard tracking job. Arrow made its way into body cavity and cut up some major vessels. Almost no blodd on the track and he was dead within 20 yards of his first bed at about 1/2 mile from initial shot.

Stay calm and focus on the shot and wait 2 hrs longer than you think you should before tracking on a poor shot. Two lessons I learned that night.

An hour is not long enough to wait on a hit like that. Even a straight-up gut shot in these temperatures requires a minimum of 6 hours wait. Near or below freezing... a minimum of 4 hours. Believe me. It's worth the wait. From your description of events, odds are that deer is not dead. Next time it may be. Most likely that treestand location is already. When in doubt...back out. Go home and pull up the anatomy from this website and make the best determination you can as to where you hit him and what you hit. Then come up with your gameplan for retrieving him. At best he's going home with you. At least, in a couple of days, your stand location is most likely good to go. Best of luck to you. http://www.rubsnscrapes.com/Articles/deer_shot_placement_anatomy.php

don't let negative posts bother you there are things that happen that can't be explained and would guess everyone who bow hunts make mistakes. no matter how much you practice shooting a target shooting at a deer is totally different, this is proven by some of the experts that have TV shows they make mistakes also. just keep hunting, back in the 60's and 70's when the bear head was popular we found several deer with the head still in the deer all healed up. they can go forever if they know they are being pursued, have a good hunt and hope thing's go better on the next one.:way:

i know scooter and thanks for the support , i was just downright sick about it when i posted . i looked more for him but no luck. i also inspected area where i made shot and it looks like i caught about a 1/4" branch that i didnt see. theres one half busted that would have hung out in the area i took the shot so im guessing thats what happened? not sure but lesson learned,just wish it wasnt him that had to pay the price , i thought i had the lanes clear but missed that one i guess. i never did get a deer with a bow last year cuz im downright paranoid of that happening and never got a "perfect" shot

I clipped one low in the brisket last year, I lost blood after 80 yards, found him dead near water a week later. Search those areas for the next few days. After 4 days start smelling for him. As much damage as broadheads do these days That's a dead deer somewhere.. you just need to put in the time if you want to find him bad enough..

12 hour minimum on gut shots.....14 is smart.
I'm with ya. It's happened to me a handful of times since '73 and only once did I not wait till daylight to search. I don't recall ever having a gutshot on an a/m hunt. The one time I did go back out it was November 16, '77 when it had begun to snow prior to my sticking this young buck at around 5 p/m. The hunched back and head down after running no more than 20-25 yds assured me it was a gut shot. He slipped into the buck-brush out of sight and I slipped out and went the long way around to my vehicle. By 9 p/m we had nearly 6" on the ground. The search party headed out and I found him inside of an hour after getting back out there. He went no more than 40 yds before he first laid down. He moved maybe a half dozen times but never more than 10 yds at a time. On one occassion no more than a step or two. Was able to determine by the amount of snow in each spot where he laid down and by scraping snow away with a forearm how long he laid there, relative to the previous spot, by the amount of blood. He wasn't dead when I found him but he had stiffened up to where he could not move. His head was up but it was swaying. I finished him off. In colder temps, a gutshot deer will succumb to its wound much faster than in warmer temps.

Top Bottom