Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Live from the woods

Central Iowa

Life Member
Owen just smoked his first turkey he is tagging it right now! Thanks RUTNSTRUT for guiding him!

1078-forumrunner_20120512_065723.jpg

Owen did a great job turkey hunting he put in a lot of time for this bird and I'm glad he stuck with it as it made his reward that much sweeter.
I have to admit dad is not much of a turkey hunter I have shot some but I have never really got the bug and felt the passion like I do for big whitetails and just don't know much about them so really we are learning together. I made him a deal we would go as long as he wanted until he got a bird if he kept a positive attitude. Owen kept his end of the deal keeping a positive attitude and he continued to ask to go every weekend even though mornings are not his thing. Youth season he had a couple close encounters but it didn't happen for one reason or another. One of those days a struttin Tom put on a show and I think he was hooked from that point as the Tom teased him just out of range. 4th season started off slow........ We had gobblers surrounding us last weekend but couldn't get any to come close he hung in there with a good attitude and desire to continue. Then it happened this morning he was rewarded with a show as one hen slipped through and then another came in carrying on she came and pecked on a hen decoy just as Owens Jake stepped into view he was coming into the set and started skirting around he had the gun ready and at 20 yards Owen squeezed the trigger of his Mossberg 510 mini and let the shot fly. The bird went down hard and the three of us let out some excitement as Owen had his first turkey down. Though it's not my thing I could watch Owen hunt them any day he has the fire and I'm sure this wont be the last who knows maybe dad will learn to love them. Thanks Joe for helping get it done and sharing the excitement Owen and I are very thankful.

1078-sized_1.jpg

1078-sized_3.jpg

1078-sized_2.jpg

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120512_065723.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120512_065723.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
  • Deleted by N/A
Show…
Great picture . Joe you are a great guy to give a young man this experience. Nice post dad and Owen ............... you are the man.

Top Bottom