Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Load imformation.

moosehunter

PMA Member
I've been using 300 grn Barnes expanders the last few years. I love the expansion and retention but hated the way they went down the barrel. I bought some 250 grn Barnes Spitfire T-EZ sabots the other day and two of my Knights really like em and they slide down the barrel easy. I went back up to 150 grns of 777 pellets and the groups were great. I dialed both in at 3 inches high at 100 and that put me dead on at 150. Just thought I'd post this for those trying to work up a new load..................

work up a good load:grin: must be shoooting a .50.

toetap.gif

I am shooting a CVA buckhorn, and originally shot 150 grns of 777 and 245 gr powerbelts, but I was shooting all over the place (18" high, then 12" low etc.). I backed off to 100 grns of 777 with the same bullets and my groups tightened up a lot (5" at 100 yards). Does anyone have any other suggestions? I would like to be within 2" at 100 yards.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Do you clean (swab) the barrel between each shot? If you don't, try that. I've seen powder commercials that claim 4000 or 2 million shots between barrel cleanup. I hunt with a clean barrel so I'm gonna sight it in with a clean barrel.

If that don't bring the groups closer you might need to change sabots.

I clean the barrel after each shot (I bought a "T" power handle to get all the way to the bottom), and pull the breech plug and clean it after every 5th shot. I think i may need to play around with different sabots. Powerbelt is what CVA recommended...what do other CVA owners shoot?

I use the Barnes SpitFire T-MZ bullets 250 grain and 110 grains of Blackhorn 209 with great results as well. Never thought I would like granular powder until I shot the Blackhorn but that stuff is great!!!!! I shoot the Endeavor and with the load above, have shot does at 200 yards and dropped them in their tracks. Recoil is not too bad and the loads push down the barrel with minimal effort.

Just got back from the range. I have been using 250 shockwaves and 100 grains of 777, one inch high at 100 yds. Have used this combo for a number of years, longest shot so far was 139 yds, but it has been dead on. I also swab my barrel after every shot, I want to replicate [as much as possible] the actual shot I will take at my deer. I shoot an TC Omega 50.

bullet

I clean the barrel after each shot (I bought a "T" power handle to get all the way to the bottom), and pull the breech plug and clean it after every 5th shot. I think i may need to play around with different sabots. Powerbelt is what CVA recommended...what do other CVA owners shoot?

NewtoIa,

I would try switching bullets. Sometimes powerbelts don't work well out of some guns. My buddy claims with his 50 that if he shoots a powerbelt he can actually see the bullet lob out of the gun. The barrel tolerance must not be quite right. I shot powerbelts for years out of my gun then all the sudden they just wouldn't fly well no more. Something changed with the barrel.

I would try a barnes or a shockwave and see what happens.

Top Bottom