Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Loads for the Muzzleloader question?

Bukslayr

My wife shoots a TC Encore Pro Hunter and I am shooting a TC Encore Endeavor. They are both pretty much the same gun.

2 Years ago my wife was shooting 100 grains of Triple 7 and a 240 grain Hornady SST bullet which is a ballistic tip. Killed a deer but the blood trail was minimal.

Last year we both shot 150 Grains of Triple 7 and a 240 Grain Hornady SST bullet (ballistic tip). Both of us killed nice deer but the blood trails were very minimal.

I just dont believe that the bullets are expanding like they should.

I have been thinking about going to a hollow point this year for the both of us to get better expansion of the bullet on impact.

My question is what loads are you guys on here using that gives you a good expansion which results in a better blood trail?

Thanks guys

I would stick with the ballistic tips. They are a hollow point with the plastic tip installed for great accuracy. You probably haven't hit any bone to cause any rapid expansion or hit major arteries is why you haven't had major blood. Have you ever played around with loose powder? I don't know how your accuracy is, but mine really dialed in when I used loose powder, and ditched the premade 50 gr loads. My CVA Optima Pro loves 90 grains, and even though it is designed to shoot up to 150 grains, it just didn't shoot as accurately as the 90 grains does. Loose powder is a more accurate way to go if you want to get the most out of a muzzleloader. I use Triple 7. I would bet your wife especially would like to experiment with 90-100 gr loads instead of that 150 gr shoulder smacking recoil she is getting now. For the best in the accuracy dept, play with loose powder and the Hornady SST's are awesome.

buckslayr,

Are you getting pass throughs? If not, you might consider the Hornady XTP in either 250 or 300 grains.

buckslayr,

Are you getting pass throughs? If not, you might consider the Hornady XTP in either 250 or 300 grains.

We have been getting pass throughs on all the deer. But also we havent shot a deer over 100yards. Are the bullets not expanding because of the distance?

I went from 250 grain SST's to 250 grain XTP's and I've never looked back, maybe you should try them as well. I tried 300 grain XTP's as well but didn't think they performed any better for the added recoil.

I've been through a lot of muzzleloader bullets and loads. I had the same issue with the Hornady's, even still have that issue with them shooting the 12 ga. sabots. I tried out the Barnes Spitfire TMZ's in 250gr. a few years ago and have never looked back. They are absolute hammers and have outperformed the Hornady SST's in my experience, even though they are aesthetically very similar. Give them a shot (no pun intended)!

I hated to do it, but I had to start using pyrodex in order to get mine to group. Different strokes for different guns I guess.

My Knight loves 250gr. Red Hots "Barnes Bullets" pushed by 100 grains of pyrodex pellets. They are a very aggressive hollow point and mushroom nicely. I too was tired of minimal blood trails with the Hornadys. I tried 150 grains of powder but it didn't seem to change anything besides adding more fouling in my barrel.

I tried many hornadys over the days and they all shot great. I never had good blood trails with them though. The XTPs I hated, the SSTs were a little better for me. The Barnes red hots worked really well, Powerbelts made some very impressive holes but after a couple years started to group crappy. Right now I shoot Precision Rifle dead centers and they seem to be the most accurate for me and the devastation is unreal!! You will eventually find a good one. I know a lot of guys that have shot Hornadys in the past and all have switched. They are great shooters, just don't seem to make big holes are blood trails. Who knows though, its all personal experience each shot placement is different to base that experience on.

I do know one thing, I almost lost a few deer shooting hornadys in the early season with bad bloodtrails. All were good shots, but when it is so thick you can't see 5 ft, it helps to have blood!!

Barnes red hots with 100 grains of pellets....45 knight disc extreame...tack driver

I forgot to mention, steer clear of Powerbelts! Great shooters, terrible killers, in my experience. I shot a couple deer that looked as though they were shot with field point tipped arrows.

2 T7 magnum pellets+250gr. Barnes Spitfire TMZ=total devastation lol

Top Bottom