Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Local sources for apple trees?

IowaBowHunter1983

Staff member
There are some incredibly long thread (well over 100 pages) on apple/pear trees. Maybe there is info there, but it is way too much to sort through.

Anyone have any local sources for fruit trees? (Des Moines south) Maybe it is just better to order online, but I would like to buy local first.

Thanks.

Even though Adams County Nursery isn't local they have a similar climate. We have planted 50-100 of their trees every year for the past 3 years with near 100% success. Read the info provided on this site and select the most disease resistant varieties, plant them, cage them and keep them watered the first year . Order them they will be delivered right to your house sometime in April. For sure one of the best things we have ever done for our farms. Like anything else ... the more effort you put in, the better the reward.

....its not work when its FUN! :) I've ordered trees online before.... I just like to spend my money locally whenever reasonably possible.

I will have extra trees available if anyone is interested (ordering more than needed/wanted to get price break). More info on that later.

I don't know of any local sources of bareroot apple but you can usually find containerized. However they are typically shipped in from large nurseries out of state. Cummins and Adams county are two I've recieved best quality stock from. Burnt ridge nursery has also been reliable.

Order some root stocks and learn how to graft. Easy to do and much cheaper

If anybody is interested in a source over in Nebraska shoot me a PM. Unlimited variety selection and on the root stock of your choice.

Top Bottom