Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Location, Location, Location

bjkpharmd

Lots of turkey sign all over- roost trees are probably
better on the north fenceline but just fine along the
creek in the center of the property. There is a
wheat/rye field marked, last years bean plot is bare,
& a newly burned area in the back. All things being
equal where would you be at sunrise opening day?

Attachments

• 24582-farmpaint.gif
    24582-farmpaint.gif
    23.4 KB · Views: 8
I don't know, it is tough to tell the size of the fields. I would probably be somewhere next to the burn. For a couple of reasons. New growth should attract hens and gobblers can have a clean (unobstructed) place to strut. I love the points jetting out into the burn area without seeing it in person I would be in one of the points closest to the burn or the NE corner also looks inviting!

With out a topo it is also very difficult to judge but it looks as if the burn area is protected.

Looks like a nice place! Good Luck.

I've been thinking on this too pharmer, and I'm with Limb. That burn area would be sweet as the new shoots that will be coming up will be easy to get at for the birds. Maybe we should plan a trip down there sometime and leave the Maquoketa girls here in Iowa City!!
waytogo.gif
By the way, you guys need to come over and check out the house sometime!!

Muddy,
You guys are on our list to visit in the new digs.
Limb- the whole place is just over 100 acres- back field 30, front 40, balance timber. From the end of those points south to the timber is native prairie. I figured the NW corner but you can never tell.

Pharmer,
Can you get down there this weekend before the season opens? A good couple mornings of observation would be the answer to all your questions. If you won't have time to scout, I understand your seeking advise. Good Luck!
rambo.gif

I would set up on the tip of one of the draws, which ever one is closest to the burn and extends farthest into the field in the center of it preferably. Because if the turkeys are behind you and work to the burn you are in their path that way you should get a shot, and if they are on the bottom behind you and work towards the road, you can most likely get down in the timber to you south and work out to them w/o being discovered. Just a thought, The road may make them a little weary to head out in there, but then again I have seen some toms do some really weird stuff. 2 years ago I had a single good tom come across a 80 acre field into a 3 acre patch of brush that I have never seen a turkey in, I thought that he was not headed there, so I headed to the big timber, and when I came out he was headed towards me in the big woods. What makes this funny is that he crossed 2 fences and a gravel road to get to that small patch. They will do anything so be ready.

Too much to do this weekend AMs. I'm going to try to put one to bed Sunday night. Good Luck to everyone next week.

Top Bottom