Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Lockdown 2014

Any ideas when the majority of big guys will be on "lockdown". I know it may still be worth going, because you never know when they will be searching for the next doe and every place is different, but just wondered with the recent activity being reported on seeking/chasing when you guys thought it would switch. Early or late next week? Week after? Saw a decent 10 with a doe and spike last weekend in a spot that has a tendency for a buck to push a doe into based on past years. With the spike so close, not sure any breeding was happening, but I'm sure it was close for that doe.

I think it was last week based off my observations. From what I saw the last week of October was unreal, then it went to crap, now I see big boys cruising again. However, historical stats from QDMA will tell you that most of does are getting bred right now (lockdown)

I think it was last week based off my observations. From what I saw the last week of October was unreal, then it went to crap, now I see big boys cruising again. However, historical stats from QDMA will tell you that most of does are getting bred right now (lockdown)
x2 I rattled in 39 bucks last week and saw several mature bucks locked onto does

I'm seeing my biggest bucks locked down now. Had my target buck in a picked corn field with a doe yesterday for over 6 hrs. I tried a stalk after attempting to call them in with no success. I've seen quite a few yearlings by themselves, and many of the doe bedding areas are vacant due to younger bucks harassing them for the last week.

Lockdown or as i call it "does getting bred" is basically what this whole rut thing is centered around. If a buck is breeding a doe for say 24 hrs or 3-4 times in a 10 min window. The does still have to eat, drink.
That buck has to do the same as well as fend off other bucks trying to do the same.
Time spent in a tree in some sort of a land feature, saddle, ridge, funnel , just be in a tree as many hrs as you possibly can.
As soon as a doe is bred that buck is going to go find another one. May be at first light and maybe at noon. Time spent in a tree lockdown or not. It's november in iowa!!

Lockdown or as i call it "does getting bred" is basically what this whole rut thing is centered around. If a buck is breeding a doe for say 24 hrs or 3-4 times in a 10 min window. The does still have to eat, drink.
That buck has to do the same as well as fend off other bucks trying to do the same.
Time spent in a tree in some sort of a land feature, saddle, ridge, funnel , just be in a tree as many hrs as you possibly can.
As soon as a doe is bred that buck is going to go find another one. May be at first light and maybe at noon. Time spent in a tree lockdown or not. It's november in iowa!!

Nailed it. I would get in a tree right now if you haven't already tagged out.

Ok, I was thinking I had heard/read people talking about a period of no visible activity of the majority if not all older bucks, due to being locked down with does...a lull if you will. Not referring to the "October Lull". Obviously this would be the breeding phase and coincide with when most does are in estrous.

My target bucket was in the middle of a bean field with a doe fending off 2 other bucks this last Sunday night. Tuesday at 3:30 I shot him in timber searching for another doe I assume.

It's time

Watch a mature 10 point lockdown on a DOE at the local cemetery watch them all day on the side hill, 3 deer were killed by a vehicle east of town. The next 2 weeks will be some of your best rut hunting. Good luck to all and shoot straight aim small. You got to lovetherut Northwest Iowa.:eek:

Some does are in now and when they are, more than one big buck will be on them. This is my favorite time of year to hunt till around the 10th, then it really shuts down from then till say the 20th.

I would not call this lockdown in the sense that most of the does are not in yet. The woods will really shut down here in about 5-10 days IMO when the biggest majority of does come in.

That's crazy! I wish I could rattle just one buck in but I don't seem to have good luck with it.

Me either, finally rattled in one buck that came running a few years ago. Could not imagine rattling in 39 in my lifetime, let alone a week!! That is impressive.

Really? It doesn't take a math wiz to count to 39. Of those 39, 37 were different bucks

I believe it- it seemed like everytime I rattled on Tuesday- multiple bucks would come in to it. Saw 5+ different bucks just that sit. Add a bunch if sits together -adds up quickly when they are aggressive like this

On my way into work this morning I happen to glance over at a cut corn field and not 30 yards off the hwy there is a buck and doe in mid copulation. This is in Mills CO. I also agree it is starting to heat up, at least here. Yesterday was the first time I saw big bucks chasing during the day.

Some does are in now and when they are, more than one big buck will be on them. This is my favorite time of year to hunt till around the 10th, then it really shuts down from then till say the 20th.

I would not call this lockdown in the sense that most of the does are not in yet. The woods will really shut down here in about 5-10 days IMO when the biggest majority of does come in.

Just to clarify, you are saying lockdown from around 10th - 20th, when activity "shuts down"? This is what I'm remembering hearing about what "they" call lockdown.

As an update, I saw a set of twins by themselves yesterday morning, so I'm assuming the doe was being bred. Saw another doe with twins in the morning as well, with a couple bucks in the area but no one was even nosing around her. These two sets are always in this area, and I've seen bucks pestering them the past two weeks. Also saw a buck that is probably the dominant in the area following a doe Saturday night in this area and then saw him last night alone, and then a doe and twins in the field afterwards. Not sure if it was the doe that wasn't there in the morning or the other one...or a completly different one. :) Thinking the does in this area are probably bred now or will be soon.

That's crazy! I wish I could rattle just one buck in but I don't seem to have good luck with it.

I've had a little luck rattling in, but never anything big. Friday morning I rattled a couple closer that I had seen come into the area. Big guys just seem to not come into rattling for me. They probably don't think it's worth breaking up a fight between two one-antlered bucks.:)

Top Bottom