Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Lockdown mode?

BDAHMS

Be here Now
What are you all seeing? Have big bucks moved on or are they still locked down tending to their does every waking call?

This morning on the way to work, I saw a buck 20 yards off the road, breeding a doe in a corn field with cattle standing all around.

Two miles down the road, I saw a buck following a doe across a corn field. He was 75 yards behind her, her fawn following 75 yards behind him.

Those two were definitely "locked down".

From what I've seen in my areas, they're def. locked down. My father in law had a real nice 8 and a doe in his backyard this morning eating white oak acorns.

I am stuck in the middle of lockdown now. Buck and doe have been bedded down and occasionally standing to stretch for the last 4 hours. They are 60 yards right now.

Went out last night, had bucks cruising throughout the timber...coming from different directions and cruising....they r definitely moving in eastern Iowa.

firsttimebowhunter said:
Good luck MNbuckhunter- keep me posted on the hunt!

Thanks but unfortunately he is one of those borderline bucks...after 5 hours of watching him and watching him breed the doe within 40 yards, he relieved the pass. First time I've seen breeding from the treestand. What an awesome experience!

Sat from 12-330 today. Lots of movement. Had a big 10 chasing off the little guys and trying to pin down does. Great action, hope I get a shot at the big boy tomorrow!

firsttimebowhunter said:
What are you all seeing? Have big bucks moved on or are they still locked down tending to their does every waking call?

Doesn't it vary from farm to farm? I mean every doe in a county isn't ready to get bred at the same time. I've been hunting one farm that seems like all the bucks are in " lock down" then I hunted a farm just a section away and saw lots of cruising bucks. Just have to sit in the stand and see for yourself. Even if they are in lock down you never know when a buck when finish breeding a doe and go looking for another one.

MNbuckhunter said:
Thanks but unfortunately he is one of those borderline bucks...after 5 hours of watching him and watching him breed the doe within 40 yards, he relieved the pass. First time I've seen breeding from the treestand. What an awesome experience!

My most amazing experience ever was witnassing a breeding party for about an hour a few years back with 2 170 plus and 2 scrubs....absolutley amazing

Like others have stated, I had a great hunt last night got ready to shoot a big 8 pt only to notice he was missing his left side when he stepped into the clearing. Had three different chances to shoot him closest he got was 15 yards.

Doesn't it vary from farm to farm? I mean every doe in a county isn't ready to get bred at the same time. I've been hunting one farm that seems like all the bucks are in " lock down" then I hunted a farm just a section away and saw lots of cruising bucks. Just have to sit in the stand and see for yourself. Even if they are in lock down you never know when a buck when finish breeding a doe and go looking for another one.

+1

These threads are fun to follow and can get you excited for a sit, but I hope no one actually bases when they hunt off of these reports.

Its pretty simple to break down.

The deer are breeding, they do it at this time of year, every year. If you have a hot doe come by you, you will have great action, if you don't it will be slow.
It can happen at any minute

I saw a real nice buck on his feet crossing a road just to the south of Iowa City this morning around 8:00A. He looked to be alone and in cruising mode.

Major lockdown should be winding down right now and there should be some cruisers out there this weekend!

Top Bottom