Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Locked Bucks - Wisconsin

G

This was just sent in, wow what a scene.

As received...

10/29/02

Hello, Everyone.

I thought you might be interested in taking a look at a most incredible
scene that I found yesterday while going out deer hunting south of Spring
Green, Wi. From the road we noticed a deer standing in a soy bean field,
but the way he was bucking around without lifting his head, it was obvious
something wasn't right. Upon further investigation, we found two beautiful
bucks with locked antlers. The larger of the two was dragging the smaller
one (already dead with what we assumed was a broken neck) around the field
trying to free himself. Both bucks looked to weigh well over 200 pounds.
The larger one was an 11 pointer with additional points broken off, we
guested to be 4.5 years old with a rack that would probably score in the
140s. The 'small' one was at least 3.5 with a rack that we guessed would
score in the 130s...also an 11 point.

It was an incredible, but sad, scene.

locked%20%20bucks.jpg

If we remember correctly the landowner that found the pair used his landowner tag and shot the alive buck and the Wisconsin DNR said he could keep the pair.

Hope this helps!

Good Hunting this weekend!

I think shooting a deer that was locked up wasn't much of a sport at all. Just my opinion.
SD Buck

Leaving him to be eaten butt first by coyotes would not be option for me. I would definately shoot him. I guess you could try to cut the antlers with a chain saw like that guy in the Primetime video, but I value my own limbs too much to do that.

it's a tough decision obviously, we found a good buck that was wounded by a shotgunner during the 2nd season, he was eaten butt first and there was a furrow where he was raking his antlers, very sad. i guess i'd try and cut 'em apart or shoot off an antler...tricky business but i'd at least try, if it didn't work i'd probably shoot him then.

This is kind of weird b/c this same thing happened to my brother. He was hunting a ravine and just came over the hill when he saw a buck he thought was drinking from a creek. It was a good angle so he took the shot. It kind of dropped softly and died. When my brother walked up to it he saw the other, tinier buck, dead in the creek (probably with a broken neck). He detached them (very stupid thing to do, but he didn't know at the moment) and brought the one he shot home. He called the DNR and they said he could have the other set of antlers ( they were both 11 points). Funny thing was is that they both would have free except a small 2 inch drop tine on the smaller deer, locked them in. Funny how things are.

What is it about Wisconsin and locked bucks?

I got this photo from someone who went home to WI the end of September. He checked his stands and found this on the way to one of them. It is a 10 pointer and a 12 pointer. The 10 pointer on the right appears to have been jabbed in the eye.

WI_locked_bucks2_a.jpg

Sorry guys....... I guess that feature is not on their website. But anyways it was a stroy about a deputy in Door Co. Wi who happened on a par of locked bucks a few weeks back.... He used some quick thinking and drew his .45 revolver and took advantage of a pause in the fighting action of the exausted bucks.... He fired a well placed shot to the beam of the smaller 10 pt. and broke the beam clear and freed the 2 bucks.... They both appeared to be O.K. and after a short while to get their bearings left the area.

So this makes 3 cases of locked bucks here in WI over the last few weeks.I give up.... It is pretty early for this!!!!

Gritty

My bro-in-law and I found a pair of locked bucks a couple of years ago. One already dead... A quick swing of the ax and the live one was off and runnin', although pretty stiff-legged. Coyotes had already started on the dead buck. We got the whole thing on video.

I have an uncle that has a set of loocked antlers mounted. They ended up on one of his ponds and went through thin ice....unfortunately both drowned. Both bucks I would guess without mea
2guns.gif
suring would have easily scored in the 140's.
2guns.gif

Top Bottom