Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

loess hills

is there anyone here from the loess hills area? im new to the area and im just tryinto find out some info on the hills

I grew up in the area, but now live in Kansas. I still frequent the Hills, though. Fire away with your questions and I'm sure someone here can answer them.

I grew up seeing the hills out my bedroom window. I go back every year to hunt. Like someone else said what in particular do you want to know?

monsters.. just like the rest of iowa.
grin.gif
I guess with this and previous posts your trying to buy land or what? my advice would be check it out. everywhere has "trophy potential."

NO, I ALREADY BOUGHT A FARM THERE. I HAVE 120 ACRES. HAVE FOODPLOTS IN AND PLENTY OF CAVE IN ROCK SWITCH..GOOD TIMBER AND IM GETTING READY TO PLANT 20 APPLE TREES. I WAS JUST WONDERING IF THE AREA WAS AS GOOD AS I HAD HEARD. I HAVE SEEN SOME GREAT BUCKS

If you want I will make the 3 hour drive and come down and check it out for you. Go look for some sheds set out some cams, and hunt it this fall, you already bought it now manage it. good luck.

Sounds like you are on your way to having a potential trophy area. Back about 15 yrs. ago before the outfitter boom and land leasing struck Monona County, there were more trophies than now and less hunting pressure. Yet the potential for a trophy is realistic, as with any county in Iowa. Hope this answers your questions.

THANKS FOR THE INFO! MY FARM BORDERS ONE OF THE OUTFITTERS. IM SURE YOU HAVE HEARD OF "HER"!

Might seem like a stupid question but I grew up around the Knoxville area and hear you all talk about the loess hills...what part of the state are you referring to?

Thanks. Now I will at least have somewhat of a clue as to where they are referring to when I hear people talking about the loess hills.

They run from the MO border up to Sioux City. If you ever travel up I-29 they're right out your passenger window. Beautiful hills and only 1 other geologically similar range exists in the world, I think in China.

[ QUOTE ]
They run from the MO border up to Sioux City. If you ever travel up I-29 they're right out your passenger window. Beautiful hills and only 1 other geologically similar range exists in the world, I think in China.

[/ QUOTE ]

Soil types are alike, if I remember what I read. Something about minerals in the soil that are prone to excel antler growth.
grin.gif

hunt on all4s

I've got 1500 acres in these hills. East of Pisgah and South of Moorhead. We've killed some monstor deer and we need more QDMA up there. Lot's of shotgunners that like to push/drive deer and they shoot at most any buck. I'd love to meet you in person. Let me know.

Thanks,
Cory
[email protected]

Top Bottom