Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Loess hills

SWIOWAMONSTERS

BIGGEST BUCKS DOWN IN IA!
Hey guys just moved near the Loess hills public land starting to bow hunt it..It is HUGE anybody know how well the hunting is what the best unit is any tricks for hunting those hills I'm from flat southern iowa ground big change for me.. Any help would be greatly appreciated just a young Hunter trying to learn some new territory would like any info that would help not just on bucks would love to fill the freezer bedding, feeding,water any help would be great thanks!!

I'm trying 12000 acres would take me a couple decades to figure out still looking for a little advice from some experienced hunters thanks

Always some big deer taken from the Loess Hills every fall. It's a great area and from what I hear, THICK THICK THICK cover. I don't really have much advice to give but I know there are some great deer down in that area. Good luck

I'm trying 12000 acres would take me a couple decades to figure out still looking for a little advice from some experienced hunters thanks

Try three decades for me - jeez! :)

Most of us that hunt in the hills are either local hunting private or coming in from somewhere else hunting public. I shed hunt most of the units and have my favorites. I keep an eye on the public units to the South and periodically throw a stand up.

More importantly than us putting you in a great tree in the perfect unit I do think its a great time for you to learn how to hunt them because they are still tricky for me. Depending on the period you are hunting, like anywhere, will determine how you hunt the area.

I like the hills because they can be difficult, I know for a fact they got hit very hard last year by EHD but animals can be found. My best advice is work off of observation stands and glass the bowls that have good habitat. Look for natural funnels to set up. The wind can be very tricky so try to set up higher. The 25 days of the rut can be the best in the hills if you work hard at it.

Most of all, try to enjoy the scenic beauty if them, the journey to the prize is most of the fun. Once you get a deer your done, then what you going to do? Best of luck!

I wasn't trying to be negative,I am just saying that what is the norm in one area is not the same as the next.After a few sits in the area you can gain some knowledge of what the deer do in that specific area.Good luck

My experience is to work the funnel points, and play the wind while remembering that while it is important to not get busted while in the stand it is doubly so to not get busted on your way in and out of your stand.

Find the funnels as others have said. There you will find the heaviest used trails that lead up the ridges and over. Your lookin at some rugged walks no matter which unit you choose. Ive spent countless hours in the Little Sioux unit and have hunted all of them. There are some freakin giants in all of the units. Good luck!

my advice would be stay out of the bottoms 9 times out of ten in the hills when u get a mature buck in a bottom with you it is going to smell you before he presents you a shot so try to hunt atleast half way up the ridge! best of luck!

Top Bottom