Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Long Bow Advice

luvtohunt

I'm looking to buy a Long Bow, have wanted one for a few years, but I know absolutely nothing about them. I saw a few at a rendezvous I went too, but don't know if they were good or junk. Any advice or direction would be appreciated.

Thanks

Black Widow......
im not sure of any other brand names,
but i would love to get a custom made bow, i would love that.....it aint cheap....check on line

I would shoot some differant models to see what feels good. They may all look alike, but they sure don't shoot the same.

There are alot of good bowyers out there.The best way is to talk to people that have bought bows from the brand your looking at.Go to shoots and try as many as you can.I do make longbows and recurves by the way.

A lot of this is determined by what you want to do with a long bow and how far toward the primative you want to go. If a modern glass lamanated bow is what you want there are lots of good ones, but you should shoot some before picking one. Most will shoot a little different, have different handle styles and sizes, and differing amounts of hand shock, and the only way to know what you like is to try them. You mentioned a rendeuvous and that should mean more primative wooden selfbows. This is more my area as I have built and sold selfbows and cedar arrows at rendezvous for several years now. The same things hold true here, try some if you can, talk to the guys making them, and decided what you want to do with it. These self bows can be made in several styles, lengths, and diffrent woods and materials, so look and ask questions. If the bowyer can't answer the questions then walk away. What ever you pick it will require a commitment on your part to both practice and if a compound shooter completely changing your shooting style. One thing is for sure you will have a lot of FUN doing this,

Is there another kind of bow?

Lot's of opinions on stick bows. No one ever wants to admit they spent several hundred $$ on something don't like. Definately look around and feel. Custom bowyers earn their money, but I think anyone just trying out a longbow should go economy to start out. Like a used bow or a "production" model. That way if it's not your "cup of tea" then you do not have a "dead horse" in your possesion. I see bows as an instant loss of value as soon as you buy one. The beholder has to see the value.

I have been shooting a Martin (Howatt) longbow for 16 years (the same bow) and it has cast tens of thousands of arrows and still going strong. I paid $150 for it new. But obviously the market has changed with the prices compounds and custom stickbows bring. That's why I recommend good used. Find someone who already ate the depreciation for you.

If I was to replace my bow today I would go used. But that is me, I would rather spend more money on hunting licenses and gas for the truck, than on the toys.
ooo.gif
Best Wishes and Happy New Year

Google Search "the footed shaft"....Lamont has many used bows and would be a good person to talk with regarding a selection of bow for you.

A lot of great advise here.
I've got to agree, start out with a decent used or lower priced model to see if you like the sport or not.
I'm far from being an expert with longbows but for a laminated, good shooter I recommend the Sequoia that Cabelas sells. It comes with a fastflight string but I changed mine out to B-50. It has absolutely zero handshock and shoots right where I look.
There are plenty others out there as well but thought I'd mention this one.

[image]
longbow.jpg
[/image]

3rivers Desert fox is a sweet bow. i dunno a fred bear montana is a good starter also. If you get feeling crazy black widow will send out production bows for test drives if you want to just "try it". They are a lot of fun. Also i think teeroy has a good starter recurve that could kinda give ya a taste.

Top Bottom