Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Longspurs' 2006 Turkey

longspurs

Here are a few photos from this year's turkey season. It took me quite a few outings before I finally put one down but it was well worth the effort. I hunted the first three seasons with my bow without success. I had several close calls but nothing panned out.

Finally, during fourth season (mostly out of frustration
grin.gif
) I headed out with my shotgun. The morning of May 5 I found myself within 50 yards of a roosted gobbler. When he pitched down he was drumming like no other just out of sight in the thick undergrowth. This went on for some time before two hens flew down as well. At the sound of their wing beats he double gobbled, sending my blood pressure through the roof.

They moved down off of the sidehill I was on into the bottom pasture. As his gobbles got further away I began slipping my way through the woods. I could see him about 80 yards out with the two hens in tow. I knew at the far end of the pasture, where they were, there was a wovenwire fence they wouldn't get through. So, on a hunch I began belly crawling slowly downhill to the pasture edge in hopes they would come back. Sure enough, after about 30 minutes they slowly began their march back towards me. Little did they know I was lying in wait behind a gooseberry bush. I was sure the hens would bust me as they walked past with the tom about 20 yards behind them. They eyed my intensely as they meandered on by but I ended up dropping him at 36 paces.

He wasn't my largest bird, but I'm not complaining
grin.gif
! He weighed in at 25 pounds with a thick eight-inch beard and inch spurs.
535LASTSCAN50.JPG

535LASTSCAN51.JPG

535LASTSCAN52.JPG

This final photo was taken earlier in the season along a muddy creek bank that appeard to have been frequented by a turkey or two, among other critters.
535LASTSCAN42.JPG

-Longspurs-

Cool pics. Is that the spring on the north side of Decorah. I wanna say Dunnings Springs or something.

[ QUOTE ]
Is that the spring on the north side of Decorah. I wanna say Dunnings Springs or something.

[/ QUOTE ]
Nope ... this one's a little further west over towards Kenadallville. The headwaters of a trout stream flow out of the cave, which actually runs for about two miles underground.
-Longspurs-

Congrats on a great bird and those pictures better win the photo of the month on here.

Kratz

[ QUOTE ]
Best turkey harvest picture I have ever seen! Awesome job Ben!
waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto on that...I'd frame that one! Very cool!!

IC I guess I've never been that far over before. Might have to go check that out.

Ditto on the PHOTO OF THE MONTH ...hint

Top Bottom