Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Look at this

I checked a kid in my high school class and he got $400,000 over the last 5 years. Inherited all the land. Are there any subsidies for builders?

So what is your point? So farmers get crop subsides......so what? Everyone who knows anything about farming knows this. I checked and my father and uncles are on here.....and lemme tell you, we don't get a ton of money from the government. I think these programs are great. A lot of family farms/farmers get screwed over with crop prices etc., and farm subsides are help for those people. The bottom line is: Farmers should get paid fair prices for the work they do with their crops, simple as that.
Good luck and good hunting!

-GunnerJon

You must understand that this is not just free money. Most of these funds are from programs like fed crop insurance or livestock ins. There are also cost to the farmers involved with these programs. Things like planting and harvest expences. There is always more to it than meets the eye.

I thought it stood for the four weeks they worked in the spring and the four weeks they worked in the fall.

Ok Just kidding...I receive some of that free money as well. My land is in CRP and pays less than what I could cash rent it for, I and some friends have also planted over 5000 trees in the last couple of years...any takers on some of that free money. Id rather have the habitat .

Overall though it is nothing more than a Hobby for me so I guess I have a differnt perspective than the average guy trying to make a living .

one last note....I do know a mechanic that is always asking if the goverment would pay him to set aside a couple of cars and not fix them ?

HEY GUYS, YOU'D BETTER TAKE CARE OF THOSE FARMERS. TAKE A TRIP OUT HERE TO PENNA. AND LOOK AT ALL THE FARMS THAT ARE NOW 500 TO 1000 HOME DEVELOPMENTS. ALOT OF GOOD PRIME HUNTING PLACES GONE !!!! CAN'T BLAME THESE FOLKS FOR SELLING OUT, TAXES, MAINTANCE, AND COST OF LIVING ARE MAKING THESE PEOPLE SELL. IT'S A REAL SHAME.

The wife of a friend of mine is always nagging me since I'm a professional outdoorsman, and I don't have a "real" job. She thinks I should go work in a factory or somethig. It gets real tiring. Her husband got $129,000 last year.

This is basically welfare, make no mistake about it. Don't give me that crap about overhead I have overhead too, every small business owner does, but I sure ain't getting free money to help me with it. When a trapper sells his furs does he get subsidies? When a logger sells his wood does he get subsidies? This is Farm Welfare. Is it right or wrong? That's up to you to decide.

My future father in law is a farmer and works about as hard as anyone I've ever known, and without those subsidies, it'd be auction city within three years. Some people think of Chevy when they hear the phrase "Heartbeat of America".......I think of America's family farmers.

Do the math-when your cost of goods sold is around $1.90-2.20/bushel for corn (on average) and the going market price is anywhere from $1.50-2.50/b (this last year), margins are slim. Without subsidies most farmers would be deep in the red in the blink of a sow's eye.

Did I just make a case for hunting leases? Oops.

wstupid.gif

The Doemaster is right.....
I wish more people thought that way. I grew up on a small family farm, and people don't realize how much time, money and effort goes into farming.
Good luck and good hunting!

-GunnerJon

With all the money that farmers are "given" how could you ever afford to sell a farm. I can't believe that one would ever come up for sale. And if someone that didn't have one with all the "free" money given to land owners why wouldn't you buy all that did come up for sale. What a quick easy way to make money. Make no mistake if farming ever goes to the free enterprise system a good share of you're hunting dollars are going to be spent at the grocery store.

Allamakee Grand Slam

I receive some CRP payments for my rural property. I pay a heck of a lot of money each year in taxes so I guess I'm entitled to see a bit of it in return. What little I get in CRP payments goes right back into my property in habitat improvement and food plots that not only benefits the wildlife on my property, but on surrounding properties as well.

Farmers do receive a lot of subsidies. Fact is that most foreign governments heavily subsidize their farmers to the extent that very few farmer in the U.S. could compete without subsidies. If we had to pay for our food products what it truly costs to produce it, I would imagine we would end up spending a whole heck of a lot more than we do now plus how much of our tax dollars goes into these subsidies.

Most farmers don't brag about these subsidies, for most it's a matter of survival. You can pay thru tax $$ or you can pay at the store when there are 10 companies controlling food production, major corporations are already backing/financing some of the production. Don't think it can't happen, the average age of farmers is growing older every year and a lot of their children such as myself would rather enjoy a regular paycheck and benefits. A lot of this land is leaving the family.

anyone want to hear a farmer joke (Remember it is just a joke, don't take it personal)

do you know what the 4x4 on the side of a farmers pickup stands for?
4 weeks of work out of 4 months
44 weeks off

remember it is just a joke

I grew up on a ranch and go back to help whenever I can. What really ticks me off is that some people don't understand how it works and then say there goes another rich farmer.

Here's reality, farmers and ranchers are the only occupations that have no control over the price of their own product. Don't you think every rancher would rather sell their cattle at $3.00 instead of the market rate of .89? I know grain farmers would love to sell their product for 3x what they get now. They don't work on salary or get an hourly-rate or commission. Someone else determines what their income will be.

Even with subsidies, our ranch still borrows money from the bank for operating costs. In a good weather and market we make enough to make it worth doing. During a bad year, we make enough to do it again next year. And we run a successful business. Would Babe Winkelman or any other pro hunter make any kind of living if he didn't have sponsors?

Farmers and ranchers deserve everyones respect for the work they do and the living they've chosen.

Sorry about the ranting, but this one hits home and the usual ignorance of this topic pisses me off.

Well first of all my family has been in the farming bussiness since day ONE. What you guys dont realize is that this money comes from many different programs. Programs that help native wildlife like CRP. Also in the past few years not all of the money goes to the landowner. It goes to whomever is actually working the ground.

And if you think the small american farmer can live without this you are mistaken. Most farmers would rather recieve a good price at the elevator than the so called "BIG CHECK".

Ask yourself how many farmers wifes are working off the farm? Or how many farmers have another job. My dad personnaly works construction when he is not farming. And he still may lose the farm this year.

I wish I could farm next to him, but it is just not possible. So the family farm of well over 125 years will end when he does.

Sorry it takes so much to get me mad but right not i'm
burst_em8.gif

Do you really think the wife of a non-farmer is not working full time. I work a side job also. Hey its a tough world. Subsidise tobacco while we shout smoking kills. Grow record amounts of corn and expect it to be worth anything. It creates a vicious cycle when we float loosing enterprises on the collective tax payers. If you can't cook stay out of the kitchen. Why would I continue to be a pulmber or carpenter or widget seller if it would'nt pay the bills? I hate the fact that we as a free society allow ourselves to be over taxed by a government that has become a bloated sow with a million sucklings all fighting for a good teet. If you rely on the government to subside you are doing yourself an injustice. I'm not saying all the programs are useless. The collective public benefits from CRP and others. But where does it end? Taxation kills the economy!

All I hear on here from people who defend the farm welfare programs is a victim mentality, poor poor me we can't make it in the real world without governement money.

My friend who got the $129 grand last year trades combines and tractors every other year. Yes he works hard, and yes he works about as hard as I do. The problem with all this that politicians have used these programs to circumvent the laws of supply and demand, thereby buying the votes of those people who get the money.

For those who say grocery prices would go up, what difference dow it make if we pay for it at the gracery store or if we pay it to the IRS? Same money.

Like an old farmer once told me, "The worst thing they ever did was put lights on tractors." His point was that when he was yonger, he could work hard sunup to sundown and have plenty of social and family time, and make a comfortable living on 160 acres. Now people farm 1500 acres and whine that they are not making any money. Their profit is low because overhead is so high. One of the reason overhead is so high, is because debt is so high. If you think you NEED a new $120,000 combine every other year, I guess you could think you NEED all that farm welfare too.

Iowa1. I agree with you completely. I'm a firm believer in capitalism and letting markets find equilibrium. With all that government interference of farm programs, we're lettting inefficiency remain in our economy, which costs us ALL money.

For some reason, there is some romance with the family farm that the politicians use to their advantage to keep themselves in power. You know that any politician proposing ending the Farm Bill would be DOA in the next election. All the senators and congressmen from the other neighboring farm states would bury him and he'd be a lame duck in Washington too. Its all part of the new American mentality that everyone is a victim and can't stand up for themself. And the politicians are just oh so willing to step in and be the savior so they can buy more votes to keep in power.

The problem is that everyone does it. They don't do what's best for the country. A senator and congressman's job is to get as much money for his or her state. They try to do as best for their state as they can, which means that they cut deals so the other dudes can do well for their states too. Some kind of game they got going.

I don't agree with the system, but I also don't blame the farmers for taking advantage. It does kind of suck though, knowing my tax dollars are going to someone just because they are in a certain business. Why doesn't my business get any?

I have nothing against farmers. I have always wondered exactly why it is that say grain prices don't flow with supply and demand. Is it only that big outfits come in and do the same thing as the small farmer, just with more efficiency, like Wal-Mart? I can understand that. I'm wondering if there is any other major reason. Seems like the prices should reflect the effort put into it eventually.

Minnesota1,

If we had it you're way we would not be able to compete with the likes of Europe, Brazil, and China in the matter of a few years(who are all heavily subsidised). What you are advocating are Americans losing jobs, America losing billions in export $ and spending billions more for imported grain, local beef and pork producers paying more for imported feed, which would in turn translate to ridiculous point-of-sale beef and pork prices, basically affecting almost anything you eat. And let me assure you, it'd be a helluva lot more than the amount of your taxes that go toward USDA subsidies. Equipment manufacturers would also suffer, eventually cutting jobs and production. Again, that hurts America and forces us to be more reliant on foriegn products. If farmers had more control over prices, I might begin to see your point, but they can't, so I don't. As far as supply and demand goes, ever watched the Chicago Mercantile for a week? It's as pure as it gets. It's sad to know there are people like you out there who are so out of touch and make incendiary comments about things they do not know of. That's great, you know a farmer. Well, if you live in the midwest, that's not much of a rarity. I know a bunch of farmers, most using the same equipment they had in the 80's. They are masters of cutting costs and maximizing yields and still just barely break even. All have second jobs, and two that I know work nights five days a week, raise families, and somehow keep their farms alive. Sounds like leeches taking advantage of the system to me.

WK, you are about as sensitive as a doorknob.

Top Bottom