Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Looking for a new dog

Killer-B

We are thinking about getting another yellow lab. I will probably not hunt with it but might try to train it to hunt sheds. I don't want a high strung dog. I'm looking for a couple of breeder recommendations. Thanks.

That's tough because breeds with hunting and retrieving are naturally high energy. I've yet to meet a lab that was under 4 years old that didn't still think he was about 1 in terms of energy levels.

That's tough because breeds with hunting and retrieving are naturally high energy. I've yet to meet a lab that was under 4 years old that didn't still think he was about 1 in terms of energy levels.

None of our labs are high strung. They gave all been and are hunting dogs and are all family dogs that stay inside.

Labs are fantastic dogs. I can't recommend a breeder but I will say that most labs are not high strung but agree with the above comment that they do seem to have that adolescent enthusiasm till about 4 years old.

Females may be more calm and if you get a male I highly recommend getting it neutered.

I have a 12 yr old male that is still packin in the house. Most high strung dog I have ever owned. Of all the labs we had growing up (we always ran 3 and bird hunted hard), he is the only one that acts this way.

The key is exercising them. Any dog that doesn't get anything more than being let outside will usually have a great deal of pent up energy. Try taking my lab for a walk after he's been couped up for a few days and hold on! Now if he's been outside with me during the day he prefers to bark from the comfort of the couch with his head on the arm rest!

Top Bottom