Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Looking for help on CRP

jkratz5

Gentlemen,

I have had great success using your suggestions on my plots in the past. This time I am looking at a whole new topic. We currently have 100 acres in CRP ground which we are looking to overhaul and make into true whitetail habitat (it is just in overgrown grasses, etc. now).

If you could start from scratch what would you plant (switcgrass, etc.) and how much. 5 of these acres will be converted into food plots, mainly brassicas but the rest is open for any native grasses, etc. We are looking to make this into a big buck safe zone/sanctuary type place, with most of it probably never seeing a human.

lets here some thoughts.
Kratz

Is the ground currently enrolled in CRP? If so, your contract will dictate what you can or cannot establish for grasses. A lot of the new CRP contracts are requiring native warm season grasses such as switchgrass, bluestem, Indian grass, etc. in order to be re-enrolled which is based off a point system. In addition, you can specify in your sign-up for things such as food plots and fire breaks (such as strips clover, which act as great plots themselves). The best thing to do is check with your local NRCS office and they will provide you with the information on what your options could include. Any NWSG will offer great cover and habitat.

Do they use the area currently and you just want to make it thicker? I am planning on allowing some of my fields get overgrown and slowy plant them to trees, just wondering if you notice deer beds in them

I would think red cedars in amongst switch grass would be good and maybe a little watering hole so deer will have their cover, food, and water all in one little area

I like switchgrass on lower areas or better quality soil and indian and bb stem on more clay nob areas. U can often get voucher for 1/2 of cost of seed. U may have to wait til 2013 if u didn't start killing areas off this last summer and fall. Get w/nrcs on what u can seed.

Is the ground currently enrolled in CRP? If so, your contract will dictate what you can or cannot establish for grasses.

That is the first thing I would if its in a CRP contract...determine what the contract is and see what you can do under the rules of the contract.

Crp

Once a CRP contract expires, you have the option to re-enroll it in continuous CRP which is different than General CRP. In my opinion it is better, because you can plant buffer strips, riparian buffers, field windbreaks, living snow fence, bottom ground CRP, shelterbelts all different options and they pay more per acre, higher cost share and a $100 bonus payment per acre.

I have 148 acres planted entirely to Continuous CRP. You may not get all 100 acres in to the continuous CRP program. You can leave some in crop or in food plots.

Switchgrass, tree plantings, other natives, it all works out to some great habitat, and the government basically pays for all of it. It is still available and unlike general CRP it is not on the chopping block.

Good luck!

I have 40 acres that is mostly brome and fescue. Will be putting in 40 acres CIR this next year. You could mow this spring (soon as possible, frost seed early so it stratifies, then spray with atrazine (need a license I believe) and glyphosate (1 qt/4 qt per acre) in late April.

This is my plan anyway and may have screwed it up- but good to throw it out there and if wrong what better way to learn that this site :)

Gentlemen,

Thanks for the response. The land is currently in a CRP contract, I have to admit I don't handle those issues with the farm (mon and dad do) so I will have to take a look at the contract and see what options we have.

Deer definitely use this area already and use certain areas quite well, my goal is to make this thicker and more deer friendly as certain areas are just shorter grasses and definitely not utilized by the deer. Once I know more about the contract I will repost and get some additional feedback.

Thanks again
Kratz

Usually NRCS is eager to allow landowners to convert CRP acres in brome to NWSG at your own expense and in many cases it can be done during mid-contract management which might help offset some of the costs of spraying, seeding etc,.

Every office however is staffed with different people and in the end they decide what they will allow and what they won't. Trees mixed in with NWSG would not be allowed on a typical CP-2 type contract but when the contract is up for renewal you can possible change a portion.

Check the Conservation thread in Dbltree's Corner for lot's of ideas and things to consider (second page I think?)

Most of the time, little, if any, cost-share is allowed on top of ground that is currently in CRP -- (for conversion of the grassland habitat). Definitely check with the NRCS to see if they can work something in though. Every office is different and seems to have different rules of procedure. In general, they will let you do what you want so long as you let them know before it's done and as long as the habitat is considered an "upgrade" (and virtually anything is an upgrade from brome and fescue!).

A standard CP-25 mix would be the place to start and provides great habitat. They won't let you plant straight switchgrass on general CRP acres.

Have fun and good luck!

Rich

Top Bottom