Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Looking for some advice

mumms

mumms
I am hopefully going to draw a archery tag for NE Iowa this year (2014), I grew up just north of Cresco, on the MN side of the border and now live in Spring Valley, MN, so it will be easy for me to get down for many hunts, I will be hunting mostly public ground as I only have access to a few small parcels of private land, this will be my first year actually hunting Iowa but I have shed hunted many of the public land pieces over the past few years, collecting sheds and scouting at the same time, there are a few places that look very good with plenty of mature sheds found and great sign, I guess I am wondering if there are places or parcels of state land that you can get away from people during the archery season and have success, I am not asking for any one to give up there honey holes just wondering what the average presure on public land is during archery season, Thanks in advance as any information will be helpful

I lived up there for four years and worked on almost all the state land. If you send me a PM I will answer questions on areas you want.

There are spots that you can get away from people, just be willing to put some miles on the boots. I keep reading that most hunters are within 250y of their vehicle. I like to use google maps or google earth for aerial scouting, then fine tune from there by actually being in the parcel. In my experience, October is pretty quiet, but as soon as mid November comes around the hunters come out in force. I've had most of my luck in late October, but I have shot a few during rut. Also be willing to hunt all day or at least thru mid day. It's tough out there with deer populations being down and bow hunter #'s way up, but it can be done.

I've never hunted public in NE Iowa but experiences on public in other areas of the state have taught me that you can find spots during archery season where you can be alone. Try to find small overlooked areas or find big areas where you can get away from others. Most of the bowhunting pressure I have noticed has been the first couple weeks of November. The woods are pretty quiet in October and obviously public gets a lot more pressure during the gun seasons. When do you usually start shed hunting down here? It sounds like there is still quite a bit of snow in NE Iowa still.

I never had an issue with other bowhunters in NE, ia in that area. This was around 4-5 years ago. I doubt it has changed much. Just got to walk a ways.

Not to be Debbie Downer but the public area I hunt in NE IA was crawling with bow hunters, NRs and Residents, this year mid Oct through Nov. Not the norm I'm used to up there, hopefully the hunters thin out. Observed far fewer deer but others I've talked with say they had good numbers. Keep researching, plenty of ground to hunt.

I have hunted public areas along with my friends in the past over NE Iowa. The last year I went was the worst, 2 years ago. Usually several vehicles at every access point. Sometimes you would get lucky and there wouldnt be any vehicles but that was rare. Some hunters went way back in there and some didnt. It takes a lot of hard work to hunt public and a lot of luck your hunt can be ruined before the sun comes up. My buddy went quite a ways from the parking lot late October, was in his stand over an hour before sun up. About a half hour before sunrise 2 guys came from private land with mini spot lights and were getting ready to set up their climbers about 80 yards from him. They were making all kinds of racket, the one guys phone and he actually answered it and carries on a conversation while the other guy was climbing up. Needless to say my buddy left.

I've had several hunts ruined by squirrel hunters, people scouting for shotgun season and early muzzleloader hunters. Its public so I completely understand and cant blame anyone for those, its all luck. My suggestion would be to get as much private ground as you can even the smaller parcels and try to hunt those and use public as a plan b or change of scenery. We've also had stands and ladder sticks stolen as well, even ones that were locked. Good luck

Hunted ne iowa last year and saw 1/5 the deer numbers as I did a few years earlier. Hunted public quite a ways back and walked in on a guy that was 10 ft from one of my favlrite spots! its public, so I went elsewhere and didnt mess up his hunt. I would try and knock on a few doors, and I plan on doing this myself also. Good luck

mumms, pm me and will direct you to a great spot with little pressure in my neck of the woods.

Stop in my shop next time your down. I'm in Waukon. I can't guarantee you anything because it really does change every year. If you can make several trips, be flexible, and use MRI you'll be in good shape.

If your coming this fall pray for an early spring so our bucks can actually grow this year.

I think you are headed in the right direction being that you've scouted some of the areas you could potentially hunt. I really wish our state had a lot more public land available to everyone. Also remember to hunt the pressure, if most people leave the stand at 9AM, hunting 10AM-2PM can be a very productive time. I more so find that getting away from the people is where I'll find the animals. That doesn't always mean a long walk, but a lot of times it does. Also try to avoid populated areas, I've found that most hunters won't drive more than 30-45 minutes from home to hunt. So if you get away from the larger cities you'll see more animals on the public.

Don't know where you guys are at, but early in the season the hmongs are still shooting up the tree rats pretty good on public round here.

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
Top Bottom