Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Looking for some new optics

iowabucks

Hey everyone, It's about time i spend some decent money on some binos. All i have ever used has been very compact, very cheap ones. I don't really think i would like a bulky pair, just some that will get the job done. To me, if i can't put it away in my backpack it just seems like another thing to have to lug around. I think i would like a pair with fairly large objective lenses. I can't tell you how many times i have tried to look at deer at low light and not be able to see a thing.

Most of my use would be fairly short distances. 200 yards or less, mainly less.

I was thinking about going with the Nikon Monarch. For the money, these seem like a wise choice. I was also looking at the Redhead Epic model. From everything i have read these seem good for the money.

Somewhere in the past i read an article about the different magnifications, objectives lenses and even your own eye all factoring in on what size binos to buy. Anybody have any info like that? or thoughts?

I want to do a little research before i go out and buy some. I may take a trip to Gander Mountain this weekend and check out some of the different models they have. I'm looking to spend $250 to $300 max.

I would suggest the Dream Season or the Monarcs.

I purchased some 8x36 Nikon Dream Season, Factory Refurbished binos off of ebay for about $100 cheaper than Cabelas. I havent used them from the stand but they are super from the truck so far.

Dean

I don't know if there is a place in IA to take a look at these, but search around to see if you can find a dealer of Vortex optics. Very comparable(and cheaper) than the Nikon Monarch line. JayHawk's Optics

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wapsiguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I really like my Nikon Monarch 10 X 42. They are also great in low light situations. </div></div>

right on

Can't beat the Monarch 8x42 in my opinion. I use them in Western Kansas, and I'm guessing I'm looking at stuff much further away than you will be. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif Pulls 'em in close and nothing beats the light-gathering capability.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stump Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't know if there is a place in IA to take a look at these, but search around to see if you can find a dealer of Vortex optics. Very comparable(and cheaper) than the Nikon Monarch line. JayHawk's Optics </div></div>

R&R Sports in Clinton is a dealer as well as a bird watching store in Davenport-Wild Wings unlimited- maybe??. I have a pair of Eagle Optics 10x42 which is a sister company of Vortex. I know alot of guys here like the Nikons, but these Vortex and Eagle Optics seemed brighter and sharper. There also have a lifetime warranty.

Go to some bird watching forums and see what they have to say about reasonable binos, those people are optics freaks since they rely on having good glass to even be able to take part in their hobby.

I am a fan of 10x42's. Seem to work well for all types of hunting. I researched spotting scopes trying to find an affordable, quality scope and ended up going with Alpen. I have no experience with their binoculars but through my research I found that Alpen has won multiple Consumer Best Buy awards. I love the spotting scope, and even though I haven't done a side by side comparison with a high end scope like Lieca, if I don't look through a Lieca I won't know the difference. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Might look into their binocs. They are affordable and come with a lifetime warranty.

One of my best friends is a Swarovski maniac.....he even admitted that my nikon Monarch 10x42's were probably the best glass for the money......Ofcourse I had him in a headlock at the time!

Seriously, you can't go wrong with the Nikon's.

Never heard of Vortex before, but they look sweet and have a nice pricetage. I like the Vanquish 10X26's, I may have to look into them. The lifetime warranty looks good to, anyone have any comments on their service, or had the need to use it? because I've heard many good things about Nikon's service.

I currently have Bushnell Powerview 10X25 which work ok for my current usage, but they pale in comparison to my buddies Monarchs...except in price.

I got a pair of Nikon Monarch 10 X 42's on the way. I priced them at $350 with tax at a Gander Mountain in Davenport, and found them new on Ebay for $260 with free shipping. I usually support local buisnesses, but if i can save almost $100, i'll do it.

I somewhat recently went through the optics shopping experience and when the dust settled, I was the proud owner of a set of Leupold Wind River Cascades of the 10x42 variety. LOVE them.

Top Bottom