Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Looking for some southern Iowa spring turkey hunting information

iowavf

I'm planning on meeting a friend to do some spring turkey hunting on some public ground in southern Iowa. Areas we're trying to meet up at are, Mount Ayr, Sand Creek, or Dekalb WMA. These just happen to be in the area we're visiting friends at. We are not familiar with these areas and wondering do they get a lot of pressure during turkey season and is there some birds there?

Those all can be good areas. I would say if you are going during a weekend you are bound to run into some people. If you go during the week there will be plenty of open parking lots.

Those all can be good areas. I would say if you are going during a weekend you are bound to run into some people. If you go during the week there will be plenty of open parking lots.
You must not live down here. With OnX, Facebook, Instagram, etc etc. These places have people on them every single day of season. The days of hunting during the week and not seeing people have vanished since Covid. Not trying to sound sour but it’s the truth. You’re going to see guys hunting these places during all seasons, during all hours of the day, the entire season. Just how it is now aday; adapt and think outside the box. Plenty of opportunities if a guys willing to work but not seeing people just isn’t realistic anymore.

You must not live down here. With OnX, Facebook, Instagram, etc etc. These places have people on them every single day of season. The days of hunting during the week and not seeing people have vanished since Covid. Not trying to sound sour but it’s the truth. You’re going to see guys hunting these places during all seasons, during all hours of the day, the entire season. Just how it is now aday; adapt and think outside the box. Plenty of opportunities if a guys willing to work but not seeing people just isn’t realistic anymore.
I do live in the area. While I will say you are right with increased activity and ease of hunting apps, there is still plenty of opportunities and without seeing people. I've hunted public for turkeys the past 2 seasons on public. Two years ago, I shot one on the first morning I went (Saturday) of 4th season, and did not see another truck at any of the other parking spot. Last year I got one on the second morning of hunting (Sunday) in 4th season on the opening weekend. There were a couple other trucks around but nothing you can't avoid. I wouldn't stay at home if I didn't have to.

I do live in the area. While I will say you are right with increased activity and ease of hunting apps, there is still plenty of opportunities and without seeing people. I've hunted public for turkeys the past 2 seasons on public. Two years ago, I shot one on the first morning I went (Saturday) of 4th season, and did not see another truck at any of the other parking spot. Last year I got one on the second morning of hunting (Sunday) in 4th season on the opening weekend. There were a couple other trucks around but nothing you can't avoid. I wouldn't stay at home if I didn't have to.

You’ve hunted turkeys for 2 seasons on oh public and you want to argue. Got it! Best of luck this season.

I don’t want this thread to turn into a pissing match. I’ve hunted central Iowa public for many years. Had some great hunts and had some not so great. Since Covid, there’s been way more turkey hunting activity…still good hunting to be had, just have to do your homework, and not be afraid to walk.

Top Bottom