Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Looking for some suggestions for a gun safe

iowabucks

Hey everyone, I have decided it is time to ditch the old gun cabinet and give my guns a little security.

I really have very few guns actually but would just feel better if they were locked up. I do not have a valuable gun collection so it doesn't need to be a $5000 Fort Knox safe either.

I'm looking for about a 24 or 32 gun safe in about the $600 to $700 range. It doesn't have to have maximum security, just be able to keep out the run of the mill smash and grab burglers. Maybe a decent fire rating too. This will be in my basement, should be fairly easy to get in the house as I have a basement garage. And I plan on bolting it to the floor.

Some of the research I did found that there are some good sales around the black Friday holidays. But I really don't feel like waiting that long. Any way to get discounts any other times of the year?

What can I find in that price range of decent quality? Any other suggestions?

Last edited:
I haven't done much research on gun safes however I have seen a few and for my money I would go with a liberty safe might be a little more spendy than you are looking for but at the cost of replacing your guns and the hassles involved with dealing with law enforecement to report and have it investigated I would definitely consider all that into the cost part of the equation

Fire rating is what drives the price of these safes. I would opt for one that has a high fire rating but a low cosmetic appearance. You will pay a little more than what you indicated but you will have a good safe that you can put a dehumidifying rod in and your guns will not get rusty, especially if it goes in a basement or garage. I have 2 safes. One smaller one that I bought at Orshelings (sp) in Ottumwa. I have that in the bedroom and keep essential weapons in there mainly for protection. That was relatively inexpensive, 400-500 bucks. I also want to be able to keep the kids out. The second safe is the bigger and better one that I keep a bunch of valuables in. I paid over a $1000 for that one but it has a high fire rating. Deeds, titles, birth certificates etc are also things you may want to consider putting in a good safe. I also run a dehumidifying rod in that safe to keep the more valuable guns from rusting. Do you own a business or home business, if you do you may get a write off.

x2 on what Hobart posted and on the Liberty Safes. If you come up for the Classic there sould be some dealers that will have a show special. I know a dealer here in Des Moines that I can maybe get you a deal. PM me if you are interested and I can give you a contact.

Take a look at Cannon safes. Last I knew, they have about the best warranty on the market, unless others have finally caught up to them. If you have a warranty issue (someone tries to break in, etc.), most companies will have you pay the cost to ship the safe back to them (~$250) and then you will pay the cost to have your new or repaired safe shipped back to you (another ~$250). By the time you get your $500-$1000 safe back, you've paid another ~$500+ in shipping charges. Cannon covers ALL shipping costs for ALL warranty work.

Fire ratings are good, but, having survived a house fire when I was younger, I can tell you that most house fires won't be put out in 45 minutes or less (most fire ratings are for up to 45 min). Your guns may or may not survive the sustained heat.

Bottom line, I'd look at warranty over fire rating. As for your price point, I know you can walk into our Cal-Ranch store here in Flagstaff and buy a 64-gun Cannon gun safe for $800-$900 (no shelf vs. shelf). I keep getting tempted since I need another one.

Maybe a decent fire rating too.

If you live rural, I think the fire rating doesn't matter. By the time the local fire department arrives to save your chimney, it's too late. This is not meant as a slam against the local fire departments, just being realistic on the time it takes for someone to notice a fire (unless you are home), their response time to getl to the fire, then the time needed to contain it. By then, I'm not sure I would trust the guns if they actually survive.

JMO, though.

I bought a cannon safe from tractor supply on black friday this year. I thought their prices were pretty reasonable even before the sale. $700 or so is what i think the safe cost before the sale.

Pella Security. Hands down one the of best you will find. Family owned company. Give them a look.

Orschelns at the south end of town has a nice safe for 899.. and if you have any military service, they have a 5% military discount on everything every tuesday. So that would 'safe' you almost $50! I think their brand is Liberty or something like that.

I don't know of a gun safe that is completely air tight so fire rating really won't protect your guns do to the corrosiveness of smoke. After a house fire your guns will have surface rust inside and out and will probably be replaced by your insurance company. I had a friend who had a basement fire with a safe that had a high fire rating and all had to be replaced. If you keep important paperwork or family pictures a fire rating will help protect that kind of stuff from damaging heat. JMO

I don't know of a gun safe that is completely air tight so fire rating really won't protect your guns do to the corrosiveness of smoke. After a house fire your guns will have surface rust inside and out and will probably be replaced by your insurance company. I had a friend who had a basement fire with a safe that had a high fire rating and all had to be replaced. If you keep important paperwork or family pictures a fire rating will help protect that kind of stuff from damaging heat. JMO
Make sure you put your paperwork in turkey roasting bags. That will even protect the paperwork more in case of a fire.

Top Bottom