Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Looking forward to summer camp

CamoMan

Yesterday was a fun day at Wildwood Hills Ranch. Ironwood, Elkhunter, Teeroy, and I went there to train the summer counselors how to run the archery program for the summer campers. From previous posts, you may know that the archery program was initiated last year, and that the IBA made a generous gift of bows, arrows and targets to the camp. This camp works with at-risk kids who come from some 'challenging' home situations. In assessing how it went last year, I would say that it was a very big success. It was the most requested activity by the campers for their free time. We had trained the college-age counselors, but as the summer went on, we noticed a bit of a decrease in how they led the program. Still, much was accomplished, and we were greatly encouraged. During this last winter, a number of the campers were brought back to the camp for Bounceback weekends, and several of us worked at those events. By this time, we were beyond encouraged, and were getting excited about the prospects of what archery ‘success’ could do for these young kids.

We knew that that counselors needed some improved training so that they could be dynamic, effective coaches for the kids. Ironwood and Elkhunter have recently gone through the NASP instructors training, and they absolutely knocked the ball out of the park in regards to working with the counselors. Teeroy and I were involved in the training as well, and the next 3 hours went by very fast. We did some general training for all the counselors in the first hour. Then for the next two hours, we did more detailed and hands-on training with the five counselors who will be in charge of the archery. The photo below shows those five young adults at the end of our session. We had just finished a 5 shot contest with the Genesis bows, and Mallory kicked the guys’ butts, and won the contest (1st prize was a package of gummy worms). These counselors were a joy to work with, and they are anxious to get the program going next week. We are looking forward to stopping by the ranch, and checking up on their progress and stories. We will provide an update or two as the summer progresses.

(Back row) Ricky, Steffan and Mallory (Front row) David and Sam
Wildwood_counselors.JPG

Mallory shot a little high this time - but the lady shot some great groups
Wildwood_Mallory.JPG

That's awesome. My girlfriend loves helping out at those types of camps and one day has aspirations to run one of her own. Last year she helped out at one for young girls in the outdoors and she loved it. If anyone else knows of any other camps that are outdoor themed and within an hour or two from Iowa City send me a PM and I'll forward the info on to Joanna.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bushman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds like a really cool program you guys are involved in. My hat's off to all of you. </div></div> /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

If any of you want to see the camp sometime, let me know. I could meet you there in the afternoon, and show you around. Maybe stay for the evening meal and program, as well. The place and the people there really get in a person's heart.

This has turned out to be a truely rewarding endevor. Camoman recruted this group to start this program. His vision for Wildwood's Archery program is coming together. I know he is not looking for recognition for his works but the service he is providing is a blessing to me as well as many counslors and campers.

Get involved if you can, the rewards are many.

Thanks Camo Candy /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Top Bottom