Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Looking to move to Iowa - best county?

B

billcurry

Need some advice from you big buck hunters in Iowa. I live in Wisconsin and I am looking for a law enforcement job (city or county) in Iowa that is close to where the big bucks roam wild. I was hoping you guys could just reply back with some county names that are known for being good whitetail areas with good to above average deer density. Then once I get the county names I can start looking for jobs within those counties.

And if any of you are in law enforcement and know of departments hiring, feel free to leave the department name or contact info. Thanks in advance.

Ha, Wisconsin... I hate to say it, but from what I know, law enforcement jobs are pretty slim pickings in Iowa

I know from a couple of recent incidents that the Cedar Rapids PD will probably be looking for a couple of new officers. But I agree with what was said above, I'd just stay in Wisconsin.

I know from a couple of recent incidents that the Cedar Rapids PD will probably be looking for a couple of new officers. But I agree with what was said above, I'd just stay in Wisconsin.

:D Good one, but probably too true! :D

I would suggest Ottumwa, Fairfield, Mt. Pleasant, Burlington or possibly Fort Madison though for a LEO job that would place you close to good deer hunting, at least for SE Iowa that is.

A lot of things come into play..you have kids? Wife? Life? Anywhere in the state will have some giants but also the state you come from. Research the heck out of it before you make the jump to here cause from what I am seeing, this state is on its way out with tons of great bucks. In the last 5 years I have seen a dramatic decline in deer numbers in general and a huge decline in mature age class bucks. Sure there are areas that still have giants but only a select few have access to them.

I don't want you to be too discouraged by my comment if you life goal is set for Iowa but if it were me, I'd have to have a much better excuse for packing up stuff and moving than just a deer...especially if you are coming from one of the top B&C states in the Midwest.

I have 40 between Ottumwa and Fairfield. Have been on here many times telling my stories of seeing only 8 to 10 deer in three wks of prime bowhunting days. Not saying everywhere around here is like that. But others have told me I am in a tough area, so, just because you are in SE Iowa, does not mean Supreme hunting.

They have their hiring list already made to my knowledge. Their testing was back in march/april. Heard through the grape vine that they will be hiring 14 or so.

I'm getting ready to come out of college and enter the law field, its a competitive one in Iowa, especially around the Des Moines Area...Eastern Iowa (cedar rapids, iowa city, etc) usually all does their testing on the same weekend or close too it.

Thanks a ton guys! I was really pleased to see all your posts. Every little bit of information helps. I'm basically looking for counties/areas that have a pretty good to above average deer population (and a few nice bucks would be a bonus). Where I hunt in Wisconsin the population or deer density might be great for the surrounding habitat but it makes it tough to see deer on a regular basis and that is what I am looking for-I want to see deer when I am hunting. Its tough to sit 4 out of 5 days and not see any deer. Now I know there is a lot of factors that play into not seeing deer but it is a given your bound to see more deer if there are more deer to see. So anyway, thanks again for all your help and information. Keep the posts coming and I hope you all have a great 2011 deer season.

your so right-lots of different factors play into a major move and bow hunting deer is one of them for me. I have two boys under 2, a great wife, and a desire to serve God where ever and when ever He calls. For us, finding a secure cop job, a nice area to live, and good church family is most important. Now if I can find those 3 and get on to some deer, all the better!

Like Daver said, your best bets are going to be Mt. Pleasant, Fairfield, Ottumwa, etc.
Also check out Centerville. I think you'd have a better chance getting hired on for a city position than a county position around here because in many cases more than half of a rural county's poulation lives in the city limits.

It depends what kind of LEO pace you are looking for. If you want to be in the action, you'll want to stick with Ottumwa, Burlington or Ft. Madison. If you want it a little more relaxed you'd like bloomfield, or something about that size.

I dont think think finding hunting access will be very easy though. I know alot of people through family/freinds/church etc. and it gets harder to keep and gain access to the better farms every year. Ive even had trouble getting permission to shed hunt some farms that were easy to gain access to just a few years ago.
Im not saying you cant find good land for free, but you will need to make some friends/connections to do it, instead of just knocking on doors like you could a few years ago.

Best of luck with your desicion.

From WI- you'd obviously be a lot closer/shorter move to NE IA. What's the thoughts on NE IA? Allamakee, Clayton, etc

No Deer here! :rolleyes: I would move to Michigan if you want to see alot of deer! :grin:

Michigan, now there is an idea. How about you move to Michigan and I'll will move to Iowa and you can let me know what I missed out on in Michigan?!:D

Michigan, now there is an idea. How about you move to Michigan and I'll will move to Iowa and you can let me know what I missed out on in Michigan?!:D

HAHAHAHAHa I was born and raised in Michigan, and lived there until I was 25. I moved to Iowa 4 years ago and haven't looked back. My parents still live there and I visit once in a while. I love Iowa and would recommend it to anyone. I live in NE Iowa and the hunting is still pretty good. One thing you have here is access to quite a bit of state land (more than any other part of the state). And don't turn up your nose at it because it doesn't get bow hunted hard and there are some big deer that get killed every year on it. I don't know about law enforcement jobs here, but I'm sure you will end up where you are supposed to be! Sounds like you have your priorities in order, Faith, Family, and Hunting! :way: Good Luck.

Don't rule out western Iowa. Pottawattamie county has a pretty good deer population. I retired from the Council Bluffs PD 2 years ago. The authorized strength is around 115, which gives you a better chance of getting hired than a department of 30 or 40. You might have to be patient, as the turnover isn't real high, but they will hire. If you are looking for action, try Council Bluffs. If you want a big department, try Omaha PD. They allow their officers to live in Iowa. Their strength is around 800 now I believe. Again, apply there only if you are looking for action. Pott. county sheriff's department has about 60 or 70 sworn. Both CBPD and the Pott county sheriff's department are pretty good departments. Omaha is very political, but not something you have to worry about until you start to make rank.

Top Bottom