Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Looking to purchase my first bow. Seeking advice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am only looking to spend about $600
</div></div>

I know where you can get a nice Bowtech Defender fo alot less than 600.00

Get yourself to a good bow shop. One that has new and used bows. Get fitted by a professional, and buy something that you are going to be happy with. It will save you in the long run.

Re: Looking to purchase my first bow. Seeking advi

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JaketheRipper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get yourself to a good bow shop. One that has new and used bows. Get fitted by a professional, and buy something that you are going to be happy with. It will save you in the long run. </div></div>

Doesn't matter where you go, but if your new let someone who knows what there doing help you! Since your new you can save yourself a little money buying on archery talk, but it could potential destroy you shooting and form if the bow doesn't fit you!

We see way to many people who struggle shooting and hate archery because their bow doesn't fit. Then you ask, where'd you get it set up at, and it is always the same response. "I bought it on line and just started shooting it when it got here!!!"

Go to a small shop and have someone help set you up and fit you properly!! It will cost way less in the long run!!!!

OH, and I WOULD NEVER RECOMMEND YOU GET A BOWTECH!!!!!! :)But I know some other great bow brands!! LOL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: thebuckkiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bowhuntr311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Depending what you want to spend is a good indication of which bow you are going to buy.

If money isnt an issue, go new and expensive and you wont regret it. Cant afford to drop 800 to 1300 then look for the "new" used option (2 year old stuff).

Here is my real suggestion. Find some bows you shoot well and really like the feel of at a shop. Then go and buy one on-line. And REGARDLESS of what the person you buy if from says. Take it straight to a professional and have them check it over, tune it and fit it to you. Things to watch for are Mathews, you have to buy the bow that fits you. They are non-adjustable without buying cams. Mathews are like the cadilac of bows. They are extremely comfortable to shoot, performance is at the top but so is their price.

Dean </div></div>Thanks. I shot a Marquis a couple weeks ago and really like that one. I am only looking to spend about $600 for a bare bones bow though. THen i will buy everything to suit me. </div></div>

I have to admit I shoot a 07 Tribute but if I didn't I would shoot the Marquis, that is a sweet bow and is tremendously quiet. If you like that bow, it fits you and has the things you are looking for in terms of hand shock, speed, forgiveness, etc. than it is a good choice. Continue to shoot as many different bows as you can, there will be a few that stand out for you then it is just decision time.

Kratz

Thanks everyone for your input. I will probably have to find myself the time to go to Pella then. I did get sized up for a bow when I went to scheels, so I know my draw length is 30", but beyond that i don't know what else I would need to do besides just to get something that I am comfortable with.

Good luck with the bow search. EVERY bow is different so be ABSOLUTELY sure that you like the feel for you. I just bought a shorter Axle to axle bow that caused my draw to shorten. I bought the exact same draw length as my hoyt but it was too long, that is expected though as the AA shortens. Be patient, shoot it alot, and the best advice I can give is close your eyes when you draw and make sure it feels right, too long or short can ruin a good thing. good luck!

Just buy one. Who cares what it is, they're all a technical marvel these days anyway.

Any bow is better than no bow at all. That being said, I really love my Ross and would buy another one. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Okay guys. I went and shot quite a few bows and am thinking I am going to buy a new 2007 Bowtech Tribute. The price is very reasonable IMO at $550, since it is a year old. Have you heard any positives or negatives to this bow? The only thing that I don't like about it is that the cams are silver. Otherwise it is quiet and fairly light and it is very comfortable shooting for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">cams are silver </div></div>

I was disappointed when they went to black. I love the silver. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

BTW, the tribute is a excellent bow.

If you liked the guardian better I have one for sale for the same price... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Boyd,

I've heard a lot about you and I might have to visit you in Pella. Are you going to be at the classic? I have not shot the guardian, atleast not to my knowledge. I have shot probably six bows, but the only names I can recall are the Marquis, Black Ice and the Tribute. I shot a couple PSE's but don't know the names.

I will be at the Classic but not with a booth, only to hang out and to shoot the Vegas shoot there. I looked into getting a booth but decided not to, I couldn't find anyone to man the booth while everyone I know is at the IBA Banquet Sat. night. Plus I really like to take the extra time to find just the right bow for you and then set it up right and add the personal touches to tuning and dialing it in, and with all the inventory of different models I keep, it would be a logistical nightmare to move the shop to the Events center for the weekend. I'd be more than happy to work with you sometime and see if we can't discover the perfect bow for you and get you all set up. I have a ton of different Bowtech and Hoyt models and sizes in house so I feel confident we can get you all set-up just right.

I bought my 07 Guardian off of Boyd and the guy is a class act and knows how to set up a bow. He also has all of the right accessories and cheap prices to trick your bow out the way you want it. He will treat you right.

My advice to you is to go to a good proshop that has knowledgeable people that can get you all set up correctly.

They will be more than happy to let you shoot many different bows and they can make educated suggestions to you.

This way you will get a bow that fits you and you will have a pro shop that will stand behind their bow and take care of you if something happens. You won't get this from a chain store or if you buy off the internet.

A good proshop will teach you things about the bow and how to shoot it, not just sell you a bow and send you on your way.

In my opinion this is the only way to go especially for a beginner or less experienced archer.

Try DoubleA archery in Waterloo, they will get you set up with a good bow and take care of you. I can guarantee you won't be disappointed. I wish there were more proshops like that in this country.

For everyone interested, I thought I would mention that I purchased my bow tonight. It is a Bowtech Allegience. I am excited for the snow to melt so I can go shoot it!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SEIowaDeerslayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Post PICS! </div></div>I'll see what I can do.

Top Bottom