Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

lost deer

Grassman

I hit a nice buck this morning. He was right under the stand, I hit him about where the ribs enter the guts. The arrow went in on the opposite side of the spine and was hanging straight out the bottom. When he left the ditch he entered a pasture and we cannot find any blood. We looked for two hours and nothing! Any suggestions?

sounds like a liver shot. He should die but will take a while. good luck!

This just happened to a guy I work with. Those were almost the same words he used. There were four of us looking. we just started search for the deer instead of blood. We found him about 100yrds from his stand. I tried to back track from the buck back to where we lost the blood trail and there wasn't any blood. It was a liver shot. Don't give up he might be right there.

Been there, if there are any small woodlots near the pasture, I would check there first. Deer with that type of wound are often found near water, a small creek or even a pond. If you didn't jump him, I would guess he layed down within 200yds of where you hit him. He's out there, it just takes time to find them. Get some help, setup a grid and walk. You'll find him. Good Luck.

Sounds like my first solo deer all over. I liver shot him and was lucky enough to be able to see him bed down, took him 1hr45min to give in. I would bet he's out there don't give up.
smile.gif

SEMN has a good point, I've found that the deer with this type of shot almost always head for water. A buddy of mine shot one this year in about the same spot and we located him the next morning dead laying in the edge of a pond. Give him a few hours then start looking. Good Luck!

Hang in there Grassman. Give him plenty of time and do a grid search. The guys on this site gave me the same advice last week when I gut shot my deer and it was raining out. I let him be overnight and found him the next morning by a half dried up creek on the same property. Sure am glad I took their advice and waited out the night! Stay positive and it'll happen for you too
smile.gif

Give him lots of time!!! Its plenty cold i would even let him sit till tom. morning dont push him. Good Luck

Well guys thanks for the support, unfortunately we gave the deer 28 hrs and then jumped him in his bed. He ran off as though he was never hit. No blood in the bed. I think it was more of a glancing blow than a vital hit. Can't get them all grassman. Good luck and keep your chin up! Your time will come.

Have you considered it may not be the same deer?
I smoked a nice 145 one year and later that night in the road ditch stood another buck that was identical to the one I killed less than 200 yards away. After abserving him for a long time I realized if the one walked behind a bluff and other walked out you would never know.
It is possible the deer was not hitin the gut or liver since it was hit on the farside of the spine.
Can't hit rewind can we...
crazy.gif

Yeah we considered that it wasn't the same deer but how many 6x7's that are around 20 inches wide are in the same block? The deer was seen by 3 different people in one morning and we all think it was him. It just wasn't a good enough hit. Scout you are right that it may not have been a liver or gut shot but where would he have been hit considering the arrow was completely covered in blood, dark red blood? No guts on the arrow and no smell of guts anywhere?

Top Bottom