Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

LP prices.....Ouch!!

Critter

Life Member
Just got my annual pre-pay contract in the mail from the COOP. 2.08/gal for pre-pay and 2.15/gal for contract. That's up about 30% from last year if I remember correctly. This is going to put a hurtin' on some country folks I'm afraid.

I'm suprised there aren't more people taking advantage of the outdoor wood burning boilers they have out now. Do they not work well with a heat exchanger and forced air heating? What would be the drawback with todays gas prices?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CRITRGITR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just got my annual pre-pay contract in the mail from the COOP. 2.08/gal for pre-pay and 2.15/gal for contract. </div></div>

2.169 from FS. I paid 1.50 lsat year, but that was an introductory offer. I also contracted for 600gal instead of 500gal. Getting too lazy to cut, spilt, stack, move and burn wood.

The 'Bonker

I was at my wife's uncle's farm northeast of Fort Dodge this week and a rep from AgVantage stopped in and told him they'd top off his two 1000 gallon LP tanks for 1.25/gallon. Of course he did it! I think they are a relatively new company and are trying to strike up business, but I was trying to get them to come down to Boone County! I broke the bank this past winter filling my tank.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cat Master</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was at my wife's uncle's farm northeast of Fort Dodge this week and a rep from AgVantage stopped in and told him they'd top off his two 1000 gallon LP tanks for 1.25/gallon. Of course he did it! I think they are a relatively new company and are trying to strike up business, but I was trying to get them to come down to Boone County! I broke the bank this past winter filling my tank. </div></div>
Just a guess, but it was probably designated as farm use LP. Much cheaper than what regular home owners use and pay for.

AgVantage is FS (Farm Service). I bet they only topped 'em off at that price and will charge him more next time. They did that for me last year at 1.30 to fill it and 1.50/gal after that. Unfortuately I was at 65%.

The 'Bonker

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: River Bttm Boy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm suprised there aren't more people taking advantage of the outdoor wood burning boilers they have out now. Do they not work well with a heat exchanger and forced air heating? What would be the drawback with todays gas prices?

</div></div>

They work great, but you need to have an available wood source close by, especially when it costs 3.60 a gallon to haul. Up front costs are also an issue. To get into one that can handle a 1500 square foot house you're probably looking at around four to six thousand.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> They work great, but you need to have an available wood source close by, especially when it costs 3.60 a gallon to haul. Up front costs are also an issue. To get into one that can handle a 1500 square foot house you're probably looking at around four to six thousand.</div></div>

Mine will pay for itself in a little less than four years. If LP keeps going up it will be sooner than that. I would love to get a wind generator next and be totally "unhooked" from the utility and gas companies.

Hey River Bottom, I have been checking out the external wood burning stoves due to our propane contract. They really look like they are the ticket, but by the time you put one in you are going to be around $10,000.00 I called a freind from Minn. that had one and he said it was a good thing as long as your wood is free. It got to the point up there where a semi load of wood was $800.00 and he wasn't recouping anything. He switched to an electric boiler that cost him $800.00 and has it hooked up to mainly use on off-peak hours?
I like the idea of the wood burner because you can also use it to heat your water in your water heater. When we built we put just about everything on LP. I don't know how much it takes to heat our home due to many other appliances burning lp during the day. Our estimated use cost for the year was going to be just under $3,800.00 WOW.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CRITRGITR</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cat Master</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was at my wife's uncle's farm northeast of Fort Dodge this week and a rep from AgVantage stopped in and told him they'd top off his two 1000 gallon LP tanks for 1.25/gallon. Of course he did it! I think they are a relatively new company and are trying to strike up business, but I was trying to get them to come down to Boone County! I broke the bank this past winter filling my tank. </div></div>
Just a guess, but it was probably designated as farm use LP. Much cheaper than what regular home owners use and pay for. </div></div>

I didn't know companies had different LP. Well, our co-op doesn't and neither did FS when I worked there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nannyslayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CRITRGITR</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cat Master</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was at my wife's uncle's farm northeast of Fort Dodge this week and a rep from AgVantage stopped in and told him they'd top off his two 1000 gallon LP tanks for 1.25/gallon. Of course he did it! I think they are a relatively new company and are trying to strike up business, but I was trying to get them to come down to Boone County! I broke the bank this past winter filling my tank. </div></div>
Just a guess, but it was probably designated as farm use LP. Much cheaper than what regular home owners use and pay for. </div></div>

I didn't know companies had different LP. Well, our co-op doesn't and neither did FS when I worked there. </div></div>
It's not any different, just comes at a cheaper rate......kind of like #2 diesel.

awwe, farm use. The only way to go /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif Thats why I have been driving a farm truck for the last 6 years.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CRITRGITR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just got my annual pre-pay contract in the mail from the COOP. 2.08/gal for pre-pay and 2.15/gal for contract. That's up about 30% from last year if I remember correctly. This is going to put a hurtin' on some country folks I'm afraid. </div></div>

Dang, you boys down south are getting a deal - ours up here no matter if you congract or prepay is $2.29 a gallon. Last year at this time it was 1.59. I am so sick of this.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shoot2Kill</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CRITRGITR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just got my annual pre-pay contract in the mail from the COOP. 2.08/gal for pre-pay and 2.15/gal for contract. That's up about 30% from last year if I remember correctly. This is going to put a hurtin' on some country folks I'm afraid. </div></div>

Dang, you boys down south are getting a deal - ours up here no matter if you congract or prepay is $2.29 a gallon. Last year at this time it was 1.59. I am so sick of this. </div></div>

I was sick of it too, that's why I went goethermal. My highest heating bill this winter was $72 dollars and some change. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Get ready guys it's comin' your way, $2.79 - $2.99 here in Michigan. Next house will be GEOTHERMAL period.

What is everyones thoughts on going all electric?
Think the electric cost over time will even out with LP?
Have a chance to change everything out to electric and might do it.

awesome question RIsto....my mother actually was one of the first in Iowa to do the Geo-Thermal (1980) there were alot of bugs worked out since then. She ended up scrapping the heat end of it and cools her house for next to nothing during the summer. Her local REC put in a separate meter and she gets discounted electricity for just the electric furnace she runs. It seems electricity is just as expensive to me as LP, Propane etc. but she gets by for a fair price.

Top Bottom