Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

LSA Report

Fishbonker

Life Member
The Legislative Services Agency wrote an Issues Review regarding non-resident deer hunters.

Some good info with lots of figures. What I am struggling with is the decrease in NR tag sales since the price went up. But the report doesn’t try to point out the decrease is in the antlerless tags, well that’s what I see but I haven’t made in depth read yet.

The other question I have is who asked for the issue review? The LSA doesn’t do an issues review on NR deer hunting just because they don't have anything better to do.

http://www.legis.iowa.gov/DOCS/LSA/IssReview/2011/IRDFK001.PDF

Interesting figures...how is it that people like Stan potts, Rick white, so on and so on manage to get tags every year.

Bonker to me it looks as if non resident deer hunting had little to do with the license revenue loss but it does appears it was the loss of hunting license and habitat stamp sales to non residents if I am looking at it correctly. My guess is the revunue decrease has more to do with our lousy pheasent hunting.

Much more than deer hunting effecting revenue for sure. None of this changes the fact that the Natural resources of Iowa belong to the State and the issue of NR deer hunt has been clearly addressed at the Capital every year for several years. You just can't screw Iowans to benefit Non Residence when you are talking about a publicly owned resource. One other thing that is not mentioned in the report is the fear of the Iowa farmers being displaced from pasture and other agriculture grounds. NRs with the financial ability would love to own and hunt a beautiful chunk of Iowa every year. That is a totally understandable desire, problem is it creates to many negatives for Iowa at many fronts. The argument that this is a private property rights issue is out the window when you add the public resource back in. NR land owners receive all the private property rights Iowans do. I personally would like to see the cost of a NR deer tag reduced to a level that would make it affordable to your average Joe NR. I know this will never happen as long as demand exceeds availability but it still seems outrageous.

Thanks for the info Bonker.

Last edited:
Governors tags

Governor's tags should fry the NR the worst. They wait 2-3 years for a tag and others hunt every year with Gov tags. Reason I'd b upset is u used to b able to draw every other year and now that IA has been so publicized it has gone to once every 3 years. Gov tags hurt the NR and we don't need the publicity which is the whole reason for gov tags.

The last couple pages and the conclusion at the end summarizes what exactly they are trying to show. It appears as though they are trying to build a case for more Non-resident tags, to raise money for their Fish and Game Trust Fund.

I'm with Bonker and wonder who/what discussions triggered this report.

I'm just glad this report was written by someone unbiased, as it appears they show how Iowa stacks up to surrounding states in terms of proportion of residents:non-residents (shows a comparatively greater proportion of non-residents), and mentions the negative impacts to residents by selling more non-resident tags.

However, I also agree with Ironwood, and felt that the report left out a critical piece of information. Iowa was founded under the Public Trust Doctrine, which states that the wildlife belong to the taxpaying residents of the state.

Thanks for the post Bonker.

The last couple pages and the conclusion at the end summarizes what exactly they are trying to show. It appears as though they are trying to build a case for more Non-resident tags, to raise money for their Fish and Game Trust Fund.

I'm with Bonker and wonder who/what discussions triggered this report.

I'm just glad this report was written by someone unbiased, as it appears they show how Iowa stacks up to surrounding states in terms of proportion of residents:non-residents (shows a comparatively greater proportion of non-residents), and mentions the negative impacts to residents by selling more non-resident tags.

However, I also agree with Ironwood, and felt that the report left out a critical piece of information. Iowa was founded under the Public Trust Doctrine, which states that the wildlife belong to the taxpaying residents of the state.

Thanks for the post Bonker.

Thanks you for the post.

Thanks for posting that. It is a very interesting read. One thing that I think fails to show up in there and may lead to some misconceptions is that since the license fees increased a couple of years ago alot of NR hunters are reluctant to tie up $550 for 3-4 months when they know they will only draw a tag evry 2-3 years. So instead they have just been purchasing preference points and waiting until they know they have a good chance of drawing to actually apply.

The study say that applications have been down since the license fee increase, but I don't think that means people aren't interested in coming. I think they have decided to use the prefernce point system and not tie up hundreds of dollars for no reason. I know of several different hunters who have went to this method of applying.

Top Bottom