Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Lucky Fridays!!

cking737

October was mildly generous as I harvested only two does after hunting numerous hours in a stand. The low number of big buck sightings had me a little worried.

On the evening of Friday, November 7th I called my buddy up in Ames and told him I was going to sit one of my best stands. All he said was that he was on his way home and wanted to track a buck when he got back. Anyway I had the perfect wind to hunt a spot my buddy, Austin had helped me hang up earlier in the summer. When I got into the feild I checked my cuddeback camera and noticed that I had over 100 pictures on it after only a week of it being placed over a good sized scrape only 20 yards in front of my stand. I was pumped to say the least. As the day light faded does began to filter out of the timber and into a unpicked bean feild only ~150 yards away. Then two big boys entered the feild and began to check does. After a moment of observing the shooters I decided to rattle. They came in on a run.

Somewhere in the chaos of me trying to grab my bow and getting ready for the shot they ended up right there, 20 yards broadside and looking for a fight. A double lung shot and complete pass through, I was pumped. I called my buddy when I got back to my truck and said "hey I got a blood trail for ya to follow." He was giddy like a school girl.

While I was waiting for him to get back to my house I checked the trail camera pictures and noticed a new buck I hadn't gotten pictures from all summer. He had hit the scrape the night before I hunted there.

collintrailcam.jpg

When we went back to trail him, the buck I had shot had only went 100 yards. At the end of the trail we found the buck that I had gotten new pictures of the night before. What a great night!! I want to thank Scott and Tim for their help in recovering my deer and taking pictures!

vintonbuck2.jpg

vintonbuck.jpg

I was lucky enough to have two archery buck tags and a week later on Friday November 14th I went into an area I had never really hunted before but with a strong north wind coming out of this particular revine I figured I would give it a shot. After getting the lone wolf all settled into the tree the morning was beginning to be action packed.

The full moon seemed to have changed things as I hadn't been seeing quite the action in the afternoons as I was in the morning and then it happened. At 9am a big nine point came through chasing a doe and got past me without him offering me a shot. I noticed that the buck also had an arrow hanging out of his shoulder blade and was amazed to see him chasing a doe! I grabbed the horns real quick and hit em together and suprisingly he turned and came back to check out the fight. What a year!! I had a slightly quartering to shot but hit the spot and the buck only went 40 yards!! The recovery wasn't the funnest because he was in a giant revine but it was well worth it.. Thanks to my buddies again for the support!

washateebuck1.jpg

washateebuck.jpg

He was a bristly old turd, his ears were all torn up and had scars and cuckleburrs everywhere!! I wasn't as lucky to catch him on camera though because it was on state/public ground and I didn't care to risk my cameras being stolen..

Good luck to everyone this year and hope to see some more monsters hitting the ground and up on this website!! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Looks like both entry wounds are within a millimeter of being in the same spot. Nice work and a great pair of bucks! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

nice bucks! That nine really looks run down. I wonder how old he was? congrats! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Congrats Colin! You've had one hell of a year! Awesome buddy! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Top Bottom