Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

LW Alpha Seat Question

AZHunter

Iowa Boy At Heart
For all you LW Alpha users out there, how comfy is the seat they come with for all day sits? I recently replaced my Gorilla Silverback Magnum with a LW Apha II and I'm debating on whether or not to replace the stock seat with the thicker Custom Hunt Comfort Seat that is on LW's website. But is it worth the $60 or is the stock seat cushion comfy enough for all day sits? After about 20 minutes of sitting in the stock seat that my Gorilla came with, I justified the $25 it cost me to get the thicker Gorilla seat and it was definitely worth it. My legs and butt may be extremely muscular from all the hiking and running I do out here, but my butt gets REAL bony when I sit down. :grin:

Granted it will be a couple of years before I'm back in Iowa and, potentially, doing all day sits so I have some time to justify the extra $60, but I'm wondering if its necessary (no all day sits out here)? At first glance sitting on the original LW cushion in the garage this weekend (for a couple of minutes), it actually felt somewhat more comfy than the original Gorilla. Or is it a case of sit for a while and then stand for a while to mix it up during all day sits? I'd appreciate any input. Thanks!

The one that comes with it is worthless for all day sits. I am going to be buying the $60 seat as well. I used to stand all day long and only sit down for short periods of time with no issues. I have found that the more I sit the better my ankle feels as I have a bad one so I sat a lot more last year and that seat flat out sucks.

You can also replace seats on your stands with the ones available from Muddy Outdoors. They are three layers of foam padding thick and waterproof and comfy as hell!

I think I'm the only person that doesn't think it sucks. Maybe I stand a lot more than the average guy or I wear more layers of clothing.

You can also replace seats on your stands with the ones available from Muddy Outdoors. They are three layers of foam padding thick and waterproof and comfy as hell!

So the Muddy seats (look nice, btw) are compatible with the LW seat frame and will fit squarely? I pulled out my Gorilla seat (saved it when I sold the stand thinking it would work) and it doesn't fit right. That seat is the half the price and if its compatible, you may have just convinced me! :way:

I cant be 100% sure. The Muddy seats are 15" wide x 11" deep, but, they are shaped like a pentagon. The seats that are sold seperately are made to adapt to other stands with four tie strings (unlike the seats that come on the muddy stands that only have two ties and a pocket that slides over the seat frame. When Larry designed the Muddy stands, one of his main goals was to beat LW in every aspect.. He actually used a LW for comparison.... that being said, im going to assume it will fit.

I like them the way they are as well. Granted, most of our sits are only 3-6 hours; but I like the compactness of the current seat! In-regard to the other brand mentioned, I wouldn't put one of those seats on my LW stand. They aren't even close to the quality or construction of a LW casting.

Last edited:
I don't own LW, but I do own a Gorilla and a Muddy stand. I can tell you the Muddy seat is FAR FAR FAR superior to the Gorilla seat. The Gorilla seat compacts too much where the Muddy seat is more supportive and doesn't sink in as much.

If I remember right the Gorilla seat is attached to the stand with 4 strings and the Muddy seat slides over the seat and ties in the back. I would think you could get either to work on a LW.. Or, just remove all doubt and get the LW padded seat and be done with it..

I personally think the key to comfort in an all day sit is if you have a stand with an adjustable angle on the seat. That helps a ton. And, I assume you are like me in that you actually only sit maybe 2 hours at a time and then stand for a while. 2 hours is about all I can take and I always start the day and end the day on my feet. I'm not going to get caught sitting down during the prime times..

The one that comes with it is worthless for all day sits. I am going to be buying the $60 seat as well. I used to stand all day long and only sit down for short periods of time with no issues. I have found that the more I sit the better my ankle feels as I have a bad one so I sat a lot more last year and that seat flat out sucks.

Had this seat all last year and they are really nice. :way:

I have been contemplating being a little crazy this year and remove my seat all together then just bring my lw sit and climber top with the silent seat which is hammock style seat that is comfy as all get out. The weight is neglible and it is just a matter of hanging the seat on the tree which takes a minute at most. This would only be for all day sits during the rut.

I have to admit, I don't mind the seat at all either. I like the seats much better than any other hang on seat out there.

Kratz

I can't complain about my LW seat cushions. I think they are very comfortable. I also like how compact they are. I have sat from dark to dark without any problems. My son, soon to be 11 has been sitting on a Alpha hang on for the last three years, I think he can sit still on it longer than in a big game double we have.

For all you LW Alpha users out there, how comfy is the seat they come with for all day sits?
I developed pressure sores one season (LOTS of stand time that year). I've since carried some other form of padding. Obviously, I'm not a fan of the factory seat.

Top Bottom