Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

M.L. purchase Advice- T.C. vs C.V.A.???

Sligh1

Administrator
Staff member
Ok, so my bro is getting a new muzzleloader. I got the TC Triumph last year- Stainless with black stock and Leupold scope- love it. So- he has to have the thumb-hole stock, which mine doesn't have. So, I stopped by Whitetail Archery in Agency and got it narrowed down to some prices and models for my bro. Must have stainless or something as good- rust and lasting is very important- not sure if this "weather-guard" is as good as stainless?

Now, I love the TC, don't have any complaints- again, I have the Triumph. BUT- the price is something to consider too. Is the TC price worth the extra $ in your opinion? Will TC's last longer, shoot better, easier, better quality, etc, etc?

Even among the TC's, there's some differences, any preferences or RED-FLAGS with any of these models? (I love how simple my Triumph is and how quick/easy it is to take apart and clean, same with the other TC's???)

MODELS we've narrowed to:

-TC PRO HUNTER, XT, Weather shield, camo, with Thumb-hole stock: $746
-TC ENCORE, stainless, realtree camo, thumbhole stock: $696
-TC TRIUMPH- I could not find one with Thumbhole, otherwise that's pry what I'd have him buy, mine with black/stainless was $416

-CVA, ACCURA V2, Thumbhole stock, black/stainless: $369

Thanks much!!!

I feel the CVA will shoot every bit as good as a T/C once a load is figured out. The warranty is much better on a T/C, but with the price difference you are actually paying for that warranty. Fit and finish is generally better on the T/C, but deer don't care what the gun looks like.
Bottom line.....if you are concerned about needing repairs down the road, buy the T/C and pay for the longer warranty.

I've got a TC Endevor (same as pro hunter but with a speed breech) I love it and would buy it again. It is very accurat and does not kick very bad with 150 gr of powder. That being said, I have never shot the CVA, or ACCURA. My Brother has a Traditions and really love it, if price is a big issue.

I would recommend the Savage MLII. They make one with a laminate thumbhole stock as well. I've owned one for 6 years and have absolutely no complaints.

I doubt you'll got wrong with any of the above. I still shoot an old T/C black diamond and will continue to do so.

I've always been a TC guy started with a hawken, have had and sold my Encore and now shoot an old Black Diamond. Very good guns.

However my son shoots a CVA 45 cal Bolt action that i bought at wally world on sale for $60.00 , he can shoot bullseyes at a hundred yards consistently with it.

I think if you get what you like and practice with it any of the leading brands will work just fine regardless of price or name on the gun.

Good luck !

In my, admittedly, limited experience with CVA weapons (have shot and known people that shot 6 different examples) they seem to be hit or miss. My father has 1 that is unbelievably accurate, with the right load (240 grain powerbelt, 3 777 pellets) This thing shoots groups, within range, that rival some decent modern rifles I have seen. 2 others I have seen, it is hard to get whitetail hunting accuracy out of them at anything beyond about 60 yards, regardless of the projectile/powder combo. The funny thing is, the extremely accurate one was bought at sams several years ago for about 70 bucks. TC seems to be more consistent in their quality from what i have seen, and definitely will have better warranty, ect. Also, this year they came out with a new model the T/C Impact, which I have been reading good things about. At about $250 it seems like a good entry level muzzleloader. This, of course, is just my opinion, and may or may not be worth the electricity used to power up your computer to come here :)

I feel the CVA will shoot every bit as good as a T/C once a load is figured out. The warranty is much better on a T/C, but with the price difference you are actually paying for that warranty. Fit and finish is generally better on the T/C, but deer don't care what the gun looks like.
Bottom line.....if you are concerned about needing repairs down the road, buy the T/C and pay for the longer warranty.

Jay said it well. No need to pay extra dollars just cuz Michael Waddell sells it. Both are good guns however.

I bought an Accura last year and love it. Took seven deer with it at ranges from 30-200 yds. Very easy to clean, should be easier since they added a speed breach this year. I shoot 240gr TC sabots over 100gr 777.

I shoot the TC Omega, and my opinion is, it is the best ML money can buy. Can group 2 inch groups at 250 yards, and have taken many deer over 200 yards with it. I shoot mine quite a bit though, but it is a tack driver.

It takes a little while to find the right load and bullet weight to get the distant shots figured out, but if you need any help, you know my number.

TC Omega

I shoot the TC Omega, and my opinion is, it is the best ML money can buy. Can group 2 inch groups at 250 yards, and have taken many deer over 200 yards with it. I shoot mine quite a bit though, but it is a tack driver.

It takes a little while to find the right load and bullet weight to get the distant shots figured out, but if you need any help, you know my number.

I would agree 100%, they are extremely accurate.

I am buying the CVA APEX as soon as I got the money. That is one BAD gun.. I don't think the encore or pro hunter can hold a candle to it. $515 bucks, Bergara barrel, interchangeable barrels, speed breech and most importantly adjustable trigger down to 2.5lbs. They are all good though without doubt. I just love the trigger on these guns and the feel is great.

http://www.sunrisearchery.com/Apex.htm

At the end, make sure to click on part two.....

I am buying the CVA APEX as soon as I got the money. That is one BAD gun.. I don't think the encore or pro hunter can hold a candle to it. $515 bucks, Bergara barrel, interchangeable barrels, speed breech and most importantly adjustable trigger down to 2.5lbs. They are all good though without doubt. I just love the trigger on these guns and the feel is great.

http://www.sunrisearchery.com/Apex.htm

At the end, make sure to click on part two.....

They wont make it anymore by the time you go to get one :way:

Top Bottom