Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Mad Skunk

docH

Last night while walking back to my truck, I had an unusual experience. It was fairly dark, so it was difficult to see well. I was walking through a pasture when I looked up to see this dark object moving rapidly toward me. It appeared about 18" tall and closing quickly. There have been reports of a mountain lion in the area, and that was my very first thought. I immediately stopped, yelled, and waved my arms. The animal stopped about 20 yards out, and that's when I realized it was a skunk with it's tail in the air. (and I was downwind from it!) I immediately turned to get away from it, but it started to run after me. I took off running for about 50 yards and stopped to see if it was still in pursuit. When I turned around, it was still running after me. That's when I decided that this skunk meant business, so I kicked it into hight gear and got the he** out of there! I still don't know why it didn't spray me! All I could think about was how cold the doghouse was going to be when my wife found out I'd been been sprayed by a skunk!
nono.gif

I had the same thing happen to me tonight with two coons...mean little bastards thought i would have to beat them with my bow!!

Rabies is the first thing that came to mind. We've had several rabies cases in our clinic this year. If I would have had a gun you can bet I would've shot it. But it was too dark to see the pins on my sight, and even if I could've seen them I don't think I would've tried to arrow it. Too risky with getting sprayed!
doah.gif

Was he speaking with a french accent? The first thing I thought of was Pepe' Le Pew...
30577-rotflmao1.gif

I seen one on the way to my stand the other night. We were both in a stare down at about 15 yards. He didn't spray me because I just froze up and didn't flinch. He wasn't scared of me. But now you got me thinking about your encounter. Think I will avoid that stand for a couple days.
grin.gif

Years ago I came across a live skunk in the middle of the road in broad daylight. It chased my car when I slowed down for it. Unfortunately for him it was pheasant season and my shotgun was in the trunk. I backed up a safe distance, got out, loaded the gun, etc, all the while he was running towards me on the road. I let him get about 40 yards away and then put on a little dust storm for him, let's just say he stopped chasing me!
smile.gif

I think he had rabies, I had never seen one so bold as that.

2 nights ago I had a coon come out of a big hole in the tree right next to me. It scared the jeebies out of me at first but then it was kind of neat to watch it climb down the tree and scurry through the weeds. It was right befored dark so I don't think it had rabies.

Hey Doc sounds like you were lucky to escape unsprayed
grin.gif
My luck I would have tripped and been taking a bath in tomato juice.
grin.gif

The same thing happened to me last year. A skunk followed me across a open feild. I'm glad you got away.

That happened to me a couple of years ago. I didn't tell anyone a skunk was chasing me because I figured people would think I was nuts. I think you really have to get a skunk to think hes in danger to get him to spray.

I have never had any close encounters with skunks, but I have had coons friggin make the hair stand up on my neck. Once while coming out from a stand, walking along a cornfield, I approached a coon knawing on an ear of corn. I figured he run off when he saw me. Nope he stood up on his hind legs with front paws in the air growling and hissing like a cat. I froze not sure what to do. With his paws in the air facing me, he left it wide open for a 100 grain Thunderhead. Complete pass through from 15 ft away, and he didnt chase me.
cool.gif

A couple days ago while walking out of the woods I saw something coming toward me. It was kind of dark too. It turned out to be a coon. I froze and watched it conitue toward me. It kept coming. It stopped and stared at me for a few seconds until it decided I was just a tree that recently grew up in the middle of the access road. Then it continued to walk right over my foot. And then we both went our seperate ways.

while heading out dunk hunting this morning i realised something was ahead and it wasnt the lab. So i told my buddy to stop cuz we heard reports of skunks in the air and sure enough there he was running across the dike and he dove into the weeds. About 30 seconds later (we ran past where he went in) we could smell a light spray.....good thing i wasnt on the recieving end! lol

As for it being rabies i would guess so. At that same marsh with the skunk this morning, about a year or 2 ago i had a squirrel that would run at me and when i would get past him he would run after me. When i returned i yelled to my dad to see where he was and he was in the leaves so i sprinted past and he was in persuit but eventually game up. The whole time he was making quiet little like "gunting" noises.

eh ive talked enough lol,

huntn4life

I had about the same thing happen about seven years ago.

While walking out to my stand one morning without a light but a bright moon i could see fairly well i spotted a skunk rooting in a corn field about 30 yard out. I didn't think to much of it the path i was on brought me about 15 yards closer. I figured if i didn't make a scene the skunk would mind it own business. But when i walked by it looked up and started coming towards me. at that point I thought, huh that’s strange. It got on the same trail as I was on and started the same direction I was going. At that point I picked up my pace but so did the skunk. At that point I freaked and turned on the afterburners.

I didn’t think the skunk looked sick and always thought its one of the weirdest things that’s happened to me in the woods.

After this thread I’m even more curious.

[ QUOTE ]
Was he speaking with a french accent? The first thing I thought of was Pepe' Le Pew...
30577-rotflmao1.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
jester.gif
jester.gif
LMAO

GUYS I had my first inceident last night while walking out on a horse trail. the thing started chaising me i just ran away. i was laughing pretty hard cuz i thought of this post.

Top Bottom