Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Management Decisions2

m_kat

I spoke with Mr. Dale Garner Bureau Chief of the Division of Wildlife. He called responding to an e-mail I sent him the other day. (Previous Post). I was impressed that he responded personally.

Basically he said that the legislators were backing them into a corner. Telling them (DNR) that they better start thinning the herd or they would introduce legislation to get it done themselves. (a road none of us wants to go down) I think that is why they have introduced such a drastic proposal.

He also said the main driving forces behind all this is the strong insurance company lobby and that the hunter/sportsman voice is unheard. We talked about most of the concerns voiced on this website and he agreed with most all stating that they would eliminate these new seasons once there management goals were reached.

They will be voting on this issue in a month (he didn’t get specific and I forgot to ask).

The real power in these issues lies with the elected officials. They must hear the sportsman voice. Right now they are only hearing one side of the story.

I will attach a list of the Natural Resources Committee members and the link to the website where I got it from. I plan on writing every one of them and voicing my concerns.

I must say that I am extremely disappointed with our states management decisions. The insurance companies should not be the driving factor in wildlife management policy. The only concern they have is the almighty dollar, not the future of a very valuable resource we have in this state.

http://www.legis.state.ia.us/aspx/Committees/CommitteeInfo.aspx

Senate Standing Committee, Natural Resources and Environment

• Dennis H. Black (D, District 21), Co-chair [email protected]
• Hubert Houser (R, District 49), Co-chair [email protected]
• Joe Bolkcom (D, District 39)
• [censored] L. Dearden (D, District 34)
• E. Thurman Gaskill (R, District 6)
• Tom Hancock (D, District 16)
• David Johnson (R, District 3)
• Steve Kettering (R, District 26)
• Mary Lundby (R, District 18)
• David Miller (R, District 45)
• John Putney (R, District 20)
• Brian Schoenjahn (D, District 12)
• Dr. Joe M. Seng (D, District 43)
• Frank B. Wood (D, District 42)

House Standing Committee, Natural Resources

• Mary Lou Freeman (R, District 52), Chair [email protected]
• Mike May (R, District 6), Vice Chair
• Paul Bell (D, District 41), Ranking Member [email protected]
• Rich Arnold (R, District 72)
• Clel Baudler (R, District 58)
• Mark Davitt (D, District 74)
• Marcella Frevert (D, District 7)
• Steven Lukan (R, District 32)
• Jim Lykam (D, District 85)
• Rick Olson (D, District 68)
• Dan Rasmussen (R, District 23)
• Henry Rayhons (R, District 11)
• Nathan Reichert (D, District 80)
• [censored] Taylor (D, District 33)
• Dave Tjepkes (R, District 50)
• Linda Upmeyer (R, District 12)
• Jim Van Engelenhoven (R, District 71)
• Jim Van Fossen (R, District 84)
• John Whitaker (D, District 90)
• Wes Whitead (D, District 1)
• Paul Wilderdyke (R, District 56)

I think everyone should contact the folks that they vote for right away. It wouldn't take the place of a personal call or letter but would an online petition do any good? It could then be distributed to all the elected officials.

They all know me personally by now! And Mr. Garner is a fellow hunter, outstanding chief looking to help us out, and a all around nice guy. He is correct, they are not hearing enough from us! It is the Legislative Rules Committee that will vote on this next month. The minutes from the Natural Resource Commission will not be posted til after July 10th I heard! It is these folks on the Legislative Rules committee that need to hear from us, not only our elected legislators!!!!! Not to preach to the choir, but you gotta start making calls, and getting involved. Otherwise we are going to see some really bad decisions made FOR US in the coming years!!! Voice your opinion to you local sportsman group. join up with them and get involved. We are always looking for area reps, and board elections are going to be held in Aug at the fall festival if you would like to get more involved!!!!!

Hmmm...Seems like a great way to get the job done. Befriend the people that you expect to get the job done (us hunters). Is that what they did? If the insurance lobby expects us hunters to do the job for them, where's the bounty or incentive? If the law makers expect us to get the job done, are they taking the best approach? Perhaps all tags left on November 1st should be purchased by the insurance lobby and given to the hunters for free? It just don't make much sense to me. Like Kat said, it is sad that the deer are getting looked at like they are vermin. I have always bragged about how great of a DNR we had in our state and right now I feel we were sold out and I have lost a lot of trust and no matter what they do in the future I will never trust them like I did before. Personally, based on the info provided to us by the DNR, I think we were already getting the job done. What's the next lame brained idea that they will sneak in on us.

Did anyone at the DNR ever factor in What the hunters wanted. In fact the hunting community as a whole has worked hard to reduce the number of does the last couple of years.

I have called the numbers of the committe members and not even recieved an acknowledgement of my concerns.

What if we as the hunters decided not to shoot any does at all in protest of the new rules..... I know this wouldnt meet the end goal, but other than our voice its th only power we have......

That would be "THEBAD" idea. We would have sharp shooters in every corner of the state and in between, and we would still be paying for it. Find me one guy on here that would go for that! Just need to keep pluggin away at them and trying to educate them on these issues.

Top Bottom