Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Mathews Outback Owners...

DLO

Hey guys, wanted to see if this is occuring on your bow:

Bought an Outback a couple weeks before season opened. Shot 500+ arrows through it by season opener. As the # of arrows shot increased the string stretched a bit, allowing more contact with the string suppressors on each limb, making the bow a little noisy. Called Mathews and was told to put 8 twists in each end of the string. Did that but it didn't fix the noise or the amount of contact between the string and suppressors. Any advise?

If it is the original Zebra I would change it at Shotgun Break, or before if there are consistent problems.

Here's a pic [image]http://www.iowawhitetail.com/photopost/data/535/3000Suppressor.JPG[/image] of the suppressor that is making the most contact.

I am not a Mathews expert by any means but I would call that excessive wear. It looks to me like the serving is barely on there. Have you checked to see if there are any burrs or imperfections on the cam? I thought the string supressors are there to help stabilize the bow after the shot and to reduce noise. It looks to me like they are taking alot of abuse. A bow of that age..... I would send the pic to Mathews and have them verify and remedy the problem. Not telling you what to do but.....I would not shoot that bow with serving like that. I have seen several blow up and it is not pretty. At least re-serve it for the time being. Good luck, would like to hear your outcome.

the string supressors are to stop the string from vibrating after the shot (i can't see the pic) but from what rudd is saying, the supressors might be hitting the string early, and it sounds like they need replaced, and re-adjusted. i would DEFINATELY contact mathews and/or your dealer

Just took a look again at the pic I "tried" to post. It's a bit misleading. The serving on the bow is in perfect condition. The suppressors have done no damage to the serving.... at all. It is well depicted in the picture, however, that the suppressor itself has sustained excessive wear ( the string at rest lays 1/16" into the rubber material that the suppressor is made of). I have contacted Mathews about the fix and was instucted to put the twists in the string to shorten it. I was told the string stretches after the first 300-500 shots. I put the twists in it, shortened the string, and the problem remains. I guess I'll call the factory once again to see if there is anything else to do.

the supressors aren't supposed to have that kind of contact. send the pic to mathews, see if that helps

3000Suppressor.JPG

I don't know if you have gotten on the Mathews website or not but they have a section that you write to in regards to tech problems. You send in your info and someone will write you back telling you what the problem is. I think that you should send that pic in and see what they have to say. I don't care how much a string stretchs it shouldn't hash your suppresor.

I think you have the same issue with yours as I do with mine. Here is what it is. Your string has stretched and your ATA is most likely closer to 31 3/4"+ than it is 31 1/2". If you pull out your top suppressor you will see that the string is probably in the middle of the square suppressor opening which is a result of the ATA being too long and is causing the wear on it and the extra noise. The strings on a new bow are no where near the middle of the opening simply because the string has not stretched yet.

If you replace your suppressor with a new, the string will most likely end up just blowing right past it because it's slick and new and doesn't have a groove in it like your old one. The frustration from this will cause hair loss my friend...trust me.

Bottom line: Your string will work fine for the rest of this season if you twist it like they have recommended you to do. After the season ends, get rid of the ZEBRA and buy a WINNERS CHOICE. I bought both the string and cable to put on mine at seasons end.

I doubt seriously with the new WC string and cable that the suppressors will be necessary since most all of the vibration is due too the sloppy ZEBRA string.
crazy.gif

Regardless of the string stretching, the bow should not tear up the suppressor with that few of reps. We've got bows in the shop with years of shots w/out replacement of that piece. Take it back to the shop you bought it from and have them contact Mathews.

Took a closer look at my bow while sitting in the stand the other day and notice the same problem showing up on it. E-mailed Mathews tec department and they said that all bow strings stretch and that I need to have the string twisted to fix the problem. I think the string is the problem. Off to Fin & Feather .
mad.gif

I did what Rackaddict suggested, I ordered a set of winner's choice strings. Cost about 100.00.

I measured the ATA length and found it to be 31 3/4" with he limbs bottomed out. The measurement should be about 31.5" and that's with the 8 twists Mathew's tec guy told me to put in the string.

The Winner's Choice string and cable should fix the problem. I'll let you guys know how it works out. DLO

DLO Make sure your brace height is also within specs. Go to www.mathewsinc.com and they will tell you exactly how to fix it. I have over 2000 shots on my Zebra string and have had to twist it 2 different times. It is within specs once again and haven't seen any more stretch since the season started. I strongly suggest going to their website and you should have all your string problems resolved.

The brace height is supposed to be 7.5 inches measured form the deepest part of the grip to the inside of the string. Mine measures 7 3/8" My ATA is 31 3/4" when it's supposed to be 31.5". I have twisted the string once already, 8 twists on each end, without resolution to the stretching problem. In fact, putting that amount of twist in the string came nowhere close to fixing the problem. I'm really happy with the way the Outback shoots, when it's within specs. The weak link in the whole machine is the piece of $*!t string and cable set it comes with. The Winner's Choice string material is prestretched at 600 lbs before it's made into an actual bow string. They claim no stretching after it's installed on the bow. We'll see.

I installed the Winner's Choice cable and string today. Once I got everything set up, I took the bow in the back yard to see how I faired. All the posted problems are fixed.... the bow is quiet, all measurements are within specs and my suppressors aren't getting beaten to death. I'll have to shoot the hell out of it for the next few days to see if indeed there is no significant stretching of the bow string as promised by the manufacturer. I'll let you guys know.

I would give it a couple months of shooting and cold weather to see if they don't stretch. Hopefully the winners choice have solved your problems. Nothing worse than jacking around with a bow during the hunting season. Let us know down the road how you do with the string and cables.

Got about 200 arrows off the new string set. ATA has lengthened 1/64" and the brace height is unchanged. So far, so good.
grin.gif

Top Bottom