Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Maybe he's still alive, need opinions

glasgowm

Ok, as some of you have been reading, I shot a deer Tues. night. I found good lung blood where he stood, then very little blood in the milo. I was still convinced that he was dead, since I found lung blood and a little lung tissue.

Today I got a picture of a buck working a scrape, and he has a neck injury of some sort.

My shot was strong quartering to, and I tried to put the arrow in the base of the neck for a heart/1 lung hit. (I know, not a high percentage shot and I've thoroughly chastized myself on it.) His head was up.

Look at this picture. The wound that is visible could be an exit wound if I hit higher than I thought. Here is my question, if I hit neck and exited there, do you think I could have clipped the top/front of the right lung (thus the lung blood and tissue) but he could still be alive and healthy? Or is the wound on this neck just an antler puncture or something, and this is not my deer.

nov12001.jpg

It's been 85 hours since I shot the deer and I'm not seeing coyotes, crows or buzzards anywhere. 50 plus hours (combined between a few people) of grid search hasn't produced a carcass.

What say you?

Matthew

Not really sure? The spine drops down as it approaches the shoulder in that area and is as close to a "VOID :0" as anybody can find if you shoot above it. There just isn't anything vital above it in that area IMO. The lungs are MUCH more anterior than most think as aiming 3" begind the front leg often gives little margin for error and "perfect" shots are actually liver or just hit the back of the lungs. Therefore, it is "perhaps" possible...but if that is the exit it looks high? Still, I'm not sure??? Hope its him because he looks ok! Perhaps just a muscle wound but then there is the lung tissue issue.

I should also mention that I was hunting on the ground. Maybe it's wishful thinking that this is him. I did find frothy pink blood.

A friend of mine shot a giant last year that was found alive after 8 days, albeit not in good shape. He finished him off, then while field dressing him saw that both lungs were damaged from his first arrow 8 days earlier. He admitted later he was using a broadhead which he had shot into a target several times. Dull broadheads will not cut the tissue but push it aside.

Are your broadheads sharp?

If you found lung tissue, I doubt the deer pictured is the one you shot. Unless you are certain it is the same deer, then I would have to say it wasn't lung blood/tissue you found. (Unless of coarse he is "Super Buck" then all bets are off.)

Sounds to me like you have exhausted the search for him so get back in the game.

He just may be

I walked into a breeding frenzy yesterday morning... had about 10-15 bucks frantically chasing a doe thru the woods after i kicked her up under my ladder stand. I had a really large buck run three feet from me ( i was on the ground standing up in knee high grass without a facemask) and I drilled him. He went 25 yards and expired. While I was cleaning him to have a shoulder mount done, I reached up into his chest cavity and felt something like a bone sticking into it's lungs. It was an arrow from last year or two that had healed up... I am having the locker that is caping him out cut the arrow out for me to see if it is my brother's deer he shot last year from that stand that we didn't find. the shot was pretty far forward, thru the shoulder, and honestly 8 inches into it's chest. Talk about tough deer. I could not pull the arrow out from the inside because it was covered with a huge mass of cartilage like stuff and I didn't want to slice my hands open. I will post pics of him later.....

That deer in the above photo is shot above the spine. They will bleed good for 200 - 250 yards then it will dry up. The spine dips almost 6 inches in that area.

I don't see how that could be the exit wound of a strong quartering to shot, and hit a lung. It seems too high and too forward to me. If this is your buck Matthew, you would have had to hit him higher than you thought. Even still, I don't think you would have been finding lung tissue and good lung blood.

I'm not so sure that is even blood? If by chance it is, it's not near anything vital & pretty far from a lung.

Ok, you all tend to point to my conclusion too.

I was hoping that this picture may be of the deer I shot. Like it's been pointed out, I'm not even sure the "wound" is blood.

Since I know there was a big area of lung blood where the buck stood, I am convinced there is no possibility this is the deer that left that lung blood. I'll keep looking for coyotes, crows and buzzards but I am back in the game, having done what I can after 4 days of searching.

Matthew

On another note, this buck looks to be 2.5 or 3.5 at the oldest, looks like a STUD!!
nov12002.jpg

Top Bottom