Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Maybe I am the only one?

Oct-Lull

Kwwl had a story early in the week that got my dander up. They had a woman on that had lost a dog and found it dead. Along with a note that was sent unsigned explaining why it was dead. Said something about it chasing deer. Now I dont agree with not going face to face to explain or give warning, and I am sure that there is more to the story than is being told. But I can't stand the way the only talked about how it was such an evil act. I have lived in rural areas my whole life. I have had many dogs whom I have always cared for. I have also had a couple of those go missing and never saw them again alive. When I got a dog and chose to let him run free I did so with the understanding that he became a trouble maker I would hear about it or lose him. Its the way it is. Once that dog leaves your sight you dont know what they are up to. This lady claimed all her dog wanted to do was roam her 7 acres. It was found several miles away. I am sure it was leaving home at some point to roam. People who move out here and throw a dog in the yard or assume it can just run free wherever need to understand what can come from a decision like that. If you truly cared you should keep tabs on it. Can't tell you how many dog pictures I have had over the years. To me its not really about the deer, its principal. If your dog chases my cows and won't stop when I yell there isnt going to be a warning. I wouldn't personally be so quick with deer. No leash law doesnt mean free range. Have had more than one call to sheriff over dogs in the yard. I let them give warning if the dogs owner isnt someone I know as face to face has turned sour more than once. Most people do care, but dont think that the dog will get out and roam.

We have had the same issues for years. It doesn't seem that there's a good solution to the problem. Unfortunately there are lots of irresponsible pretty owners out there.

We have an old farm house next section over from us.
Usually what happens new renters move in ,have dogs since it's the country
No kennel,chains.not enough money for dog food.dogs end up roaming
For road kills.i cannot believe the effects of a few dogs running deer in my
Area.just completely runs deer out of our timber.30 acres.
Luckily our neighbors who are cattlemen take care of the problem.

Its really too bad. I am not advocating killing dogs, more people taking responsibility. Then dont gripe when something happens. Only thing I dont feel real remorse killing is rodents, otherwise its always sad to take life. Guy next to me adopts from the humane society, brags about it, then turns the dog loose and never looks at it again. Then when I tell him to keep it out of my yard because its growling and barking at my small children or it won't be home he calls the sheriff. Jokes on him, nothing says I can't remove it if its causing trouble. Chasing cattle, deer, causing damage, danger, I won't let it slide.

You can chase or scare away a domesticated dog only so many times before it starts to ignore you. Some dogs were strays looking for a home & don't bother anything. Others like to kill things. Then you gotta do what needs to be done. Talk to & warn the owner. Years ago, we had problems w/ our cattle & hogs. Multiple large dogs. I took care of it.

Calling the sheriff in my county over roaming dogs doesn't even warrant a return call. Just a short chat with dispatch!

In my county is a joke calling anyone. Sheriff, County Super, they could care less.DNR gave the old advice, the three S's,!

Part of the issue is that people stop calling from not getting help. Half the battle is blowing up the phone lines across the board to make sure law enforcement truly "feels" the issue. You can't throw your hands up and do nothing because you assume no response will happen. At some point they will get the picture and change the law.

I'm flat amazed this issue hasn't been addressed by a new bill.

Personally I have talked to law until I'm blue in the face. 3 s's is my new position. The same dogs and owners every year. They don't even have decency to wait till deer season is over. I've talked to a long line trapper who is loading my farm with snares and conibears next season. I've told him to target coyotes dogs and cats. They can pick up tracking collars on gravel road when they drive by.

Top Bottom