Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Meat Cleaning

Doubleaarc hery

Just a quick question for all you who grind and process your own meat!

Do you do anything as far as washing the meat before or after it is ground?

Is there anything special you use?

In advance, thanks!

Nope, just take time and care to keep it clean as you butcher.

I do hose out the body cavity when I hang one for a few days. You've got to be sure to dry it off though, moisture breads bacteria.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Do you do anything as far as washing the meat before or after it is ground?

</div></div>

uh, yeah. after its ground, we dump it in a tub, and rinse it off, then put it in bags

/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

When I bone out my deer I wash off all the meat before vacuum sealing it.

Then when I am ready to grind it up, after thawing it out I usually run it under water again before grinding it.

I would NOT run it under water AFTER it was ground, that sounds like a mess. Just keep it clean in the butchering process and your fine. Burn all hair off of the meat with a torch.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jerad</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would NOT run it under water AFTER it was ground, that sounds like a mess. Just keep it clean in the butchering process and your fine. Burn all hair off of the meat with a torch.</div></div>

I have always been told never to wash meat. I guess the only time I would stray is if it was a gut shot or something got on the meat during field dressing. I second the torch. Just a quck pass, just enough to singe(sp) of any hair, be carefull not to cook it.

I worked in a meat shop for a few years and never heard of that. What purpose is a rinse after grinding?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Clean.....dry....cool </div></div>

make sure it is clean when cutting up the deer...no hair or such.

we never wash, we just make sure it was properly taken care of when we cut the deer up.

uh....the cleaning the meat after being ground was a joke. how the hell do you clean burger? run it through a strainer?!?! just thought it was a fitting response to an "andy post" /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

if a deer has been gutshot, and stomach matter is on the meat, we will hit it with a bucket or 2 of water to rinse the cavity. that is it

I just pick the hairs off. If a peice is really bad I may wash it off under the sink. I do rinse the hearts out under the sink as they get really full of coagulated blood.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> uh....the cleaning the meat after being ground was a joke. how the hell do you clean burger? run it through a strainer?!?! just thought it was a fitting response to an "andy post" </div></div>

I figured, but hey.....this place gets more interesting by the day. Ya just never know around here anymore. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you do anything as far as washing the meat before or after it is ground? </div></div>

i was laughing my butt off after i read the question, i can't believe no one else jumped on it

Top Bottom