Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Meat Grinder Problem

Nontypcl1

I've got a small electric meat grinder that I bought from Cabelas a few years ago and it has worked great until the last deer i processed using it last year. I have used it to grind probably 10-12 deer in the last 4 years and it has done a super job. Probably not near as fast as some the larger grinders but still good. However, the last deer I used the grinder to process last January turned out terrible. It basically made mush out of the meat. I checked the blade and it seemed sharp and the plates are pretty new since I got a double set when I bought it. The plates I used last were probably only used twice.

The only thing I can think that I did wrong was to wash the plates in my dishwasher. They came out with a gray residue on them that took forever to clean off. I think I'm going to go ahead and order a new blade since they are pretty cheap but I'm not sure if it will solve the problem. I've finished all my jerky making for the year and have a couple deer I would like to grind into burger and sausage but I'm afraid of having it turn out like last time.

Anyone had this problem or know what could be the issue?

Here is the model I have. I read the worst reviews on it an a couple people said it turned their deer to mush as well. The last time I used it was the only time it did that so I don't think it's the grinder itself.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Pro-Grinder/714623.uts?WTz_l=Header;Search-All+Products

Did the grinder come with different "plate" sizes?
I would try a plate with larger holes, and see if it does the same thing.

I tried different plate sizes but still had the same problem. I just can't figure out why after so many successful uses it did such a terrible job this last time.

I might just have to get a new blade and try it with a small amount and see if solves the problem.

There needs to be a tight tolerance between the blade and plate. When I worked in the butcher shop, we always replaced the plate and blade at the same time. If that doesn't work, it may be do to wear and loosening tolerances in the grinder/auger. Basically not keeping the blade tight to the plate. The long term wear is where the upper end grinders come through.

There needs to be a tight tolerance between the blade and plate. When I worked in the butcher shop, we always replaced the plate and blade at the same time. If that doesn't work, it may be do to wear and loosening tolerances in the grinder/auger. Basically not keeping the blade tight to the plate. The long term wear is where the upper end grinders come through.

That makes sense. Looks like I'll get a couple new plates and new blade and give it a go. Hopefully I won't be looking for a new grinder quite yet. Thanks for the advice

Had that problem once, had the blade in backwards.

Same here...switched the blade around and worked fine. I've touched up the blade with some emery paper but nothing to agressive. Hopefully the new blade and screens work better for you. If not, maybe you can exchange it for a different model.

Was your meat cold? Have seen guys grind deer the same day they shot them and the warm meat turns to mush. Colder the better. I will sometimes place my grinder parts in the freezer or outside if below freezing. Seems to grind "cleaner" that way.

The meat was cold but I still haven't tried the new blade or plates yet. Now my smoker is out of commission.:( At least it was under warranty and a new one is on the way.

Was your meat cold? Have seen guys grind deer the same day they shot them and the warm meat turns to mush. Colder the better. I will sometimes place my grinder parts in the freezer or outside if below freezing. Seems to grind "cleaner" that way.

We always cool our meat before grinding it... helps a bunch!

Top Bottom