Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

MEAT LOCKERS

60 dollars?
Where is this locker? I could drive across the state and still come out ahead of every other locker I've been to. Let us know.

BT

I've used both Yedder, and Granger, both are Good place's. I understood that Granger just got tired of people calling them, and asking about when there deer were going to be done. I hadn't heard that they charge $10 if you call, it use to be a "threat" to move you to the back of the list, but I understanded it to be that alone. However, they do a great job concidering they do an average of 2500 deer a season. I have deer meat left every year, so it's not a big deal if it dosent get to me until April, and they give you your deer.

Another good place use to be Poconotas. Rumor has it, that place burned down a couple of years ago, but if he opened a new locker up, I would seek him out. They had the best jerky I ever tasted, and everyone I share my Granger jerkey with says it is tough to beat.

CH

I used Granger, very good sticks and salami. They even processed a bear for me before the new owner took over.

Some lockers mixed deer others don't. I don't think Granger does if you give them the 10 pound minimum for each item. Hint: if you are going to have your whole deer made into salami, jerky, sticks then de-bone it yourself and save $70.

Another good one is Steve's in Montpelier south of Davenport.

My family used a locker in St Benedict for beef processing a couple years ago. The place burned down. We were out a $1000 cow, his insurance was very inadequate. Homeowners covered part of it.

IaCraig, have you ever cut chip steaks ? they are great and fast to prepair.just debone one have a hind quarter. start to freeze the meat,then slice thin on slicer.they are great.
mottspur

Mottspur, Thanks for the suggestion. However I have a deal with my wife. She says I can hunt as much as I want if we buy beef to get steaks & roasts. She has no problems with me using deer to make burger, sausage, Salami, wieners, bologna, sticks, Brats, jerkey, dried deer, etc....

However on at least 1 deer per year I usually bend the rules a bit and keep a couple neck roasts (too big of a pain to bone out) and I slice the backstraps and wrap them in bacon like filet mignion. She gives me dirty looks for this, but she admits they taste great grilled so she gets over it.

IaCraig

For you guys in NE Iowa I'd recommend the locker in Edgewood. Their summer sausage w/jalepeno peppers is fantastic! Whe I took my deer there they had all kinds of samples for me to try. I guess their venison bacon is pretty good too.

We use Moulton Locker in SE Iowa. One receives great service there and when the weather has been warm and one of us has harvested a deer, he even goes in on his day off to allow us to drop off our deer to prevent it from spoiling. Great sausage, too!!!!

I have had good luck through the years with lockers that have been in business for a while and have good word of mouth reputations. I think there are many around Iowa.

Used Moulton Locker for many years, Blakesburg a few years, and now using Newhall Locker. Good experience with these. The only bad experience I have had in 30 years did not stay in business long.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bub:
ibowhunt, where u from????????<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bub your name isn't Ken by any chance is it? Just curious since I see your a cop in Centerville.

Our locker ran an ad in the paper they werent taking no deer this year.But some of the "older more respectable citezens "got theirs in anyway, guesse its who you are and not what you bring in that counts up here.That didnt affect me much anyway cause i do my own, but it still didnt seem quite right.If your in NW Iowa Ive heard good things about the West Bend locker, had some of their stuff and its good, not sure about the price though.

i take my deer to kramers in la porte city, they do a wonderful job, the kramers also do alot of work for the amanas. not the most friendly people to deal with, however, the end results makes it well worth it.

just an update... i finally got my meat back from the locker in granger today. i dropped it off on nov 17th, and today is jan 23rd.

is this too long of a time, or am i just impatient??

I would say that is an awefull long time.

We (friends & family) purchase cows from a farmer, have it done at a locker, never takes more than 2-3 weeks.

I've only taken one deer to a locker, when we just couldn't get to it ourselves because of work load. Had the meat in my freezer in seven days.Two months and some change, yeah General I don't think I could stand for that.

Shot my buck 11-11-01, took it to a locker in Omaha, and just got it back yesterday also. When I dropped him off, there was around 60 deer in their parking lot. Opening day rifle in NE. I was beginning to think they lost my order in the pile of deer.. It was so hot though, there wasn't much of a choice this year but to take it to a locker. You can believe it won't be there next year! And after all the wait, it cost 140.00!

Yes General, that is pretty long. As usual it sounds like the locker plants around the urban areas get over-run as the hunting season picks up. Maybe next year you might need to try somewhere farther from the city. Or try to do your own. Like I said earlier on this post, I do my own and the final product is excellent. (that is a quote from friends and family, not just my opinion) I make sticks, brats, weiners, bologna and the whole works. It is fun to do in small quantities.

good point about the urban areas iacraig, i'll take it into consideration next year. i would like to cut up my own meat, but it's hard to find the time to do it. i think i'm going to go to ridgeport locker next season.

I am going to try my own next year! The deer I got this year cost me $230 to have processed and that is with 95% ground deer. For that much, I can buy all the gear to do it myself! Any ideas on what I need to get started?

Top Bottom