Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Mechanical broadhead suggestions?

IMO it's foolish to shoot an expandable with a low poundage bow. You shouldn't be taking shots past 30 yards anyway so concerns about accuracy are a null point at such a short distance. Typically low poundage hunters are inexperienced as well leading to poor shots. At least a fixed blade still has a chance in a shoulder. I wouldn't recommend considering an expandable until the shooter is pulling at least 50 pounds. Granted any gutter ball is greatly helped by an expandable, but not worth the trade off for nearly a guaranteed loss on a shoulder IMO.

I'm shooting 70# and heavy arrows tipped with the 2 inch cut GrimReapers. Before them I used Rocket Hammerheads. I think the Hammerheads have cheap, easy to bend/break, blades and that's why I switched to Reapers.

For your son a longer profiled broadheads will be great for better penetration. Muzzle Phantom or a Magnus 2 blade stinger.

I'm shooting 70# and heavy arrows tipped with the 2 inch cut GrimReapers. Before them I used Rocket Hammerheads. I think the Hammerheads have cheap, easy to bend/break, blades and that's why I switched to Reapers.

For your son a longer profiled broadheads will be great for better penetration. Muzzle Phantom or a Magnus 2 blade stinger.

I agree with Muddy on the Hammerheads. They are my go to turkey head and I have killed quite a few deer with them but usually the blades either bend or break. I consider them one and done heads. They fly absolutely amazing though.

I have switched to Wasp JaK Hammers with 1 3/4 cut vs 2 inch but the blades holds up much better and I like the chisel tip better.

I shot a big buck in the shoulder once with a brand new muzzy and only got a couple inches of penetration. I will take my chances with a larger expandable since that day as there is a lot more area in the body a larger expandable would help vs the shoulder.

Top Bottom