Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Mechanical Broadhead

cjgarrett

No this is not going to be another Rage vs. No Rage thread! I just wanted to post the video that i made of a late season doe hunt in KS last year. This was my first time ever trying a mechanical broad head for deer. I was given a pack of Swhacker 2" cut 2 blades by a rep in the industry. He told me that if i shot one deer with them i would never want to go back... Boy was he wrong! I hope that someone can explain to me what happened on this day!

I was sitting on the edge of a wheat field in early December. I have corn out to get the deer to stop on the edge of the timber before they do their 100 yard dash out to the middle of the field... I shot this doe at 18 yards while i was only 16 feet up in the tree. After the shot she ran 75 yards out in the field and stood for close to 45 minutes. She then walked back into the woods and up the ridge. I went back to the house, grabbed flash lights giving her well over 2 hours to expire. To my surprise there was NO blood in the field where she stood for 45 minutes and the only blood i found was where she walked up the side of a very steep ridge. I tracked her for over an hour before i gave up that night. The next day a buddy of mine went to hunt the same wheat field. He found her dead in the field within 15 yards of where i shot her. 24 hours later. I believe that a true "cut on contact" 3 blade would of put this deer down within 75 yards....

Here is the LINK

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynzo6lW055Q

Somehow, someway, you had to have missed the heart, not sure how.... but clipped the bottom of one lung and that's my only explanation. Thats all I can come up with.
Sometimes an expandable will kick a funny direction when they deploy.

The arrow passed through and the exit hole was right behind the far shoulder at almost the same height. My only explanation is that 2 blades went between the heart and lungs as it rotated... Pretty crazy though huh?!!!

Crazy but things happen.I have lost only one deer with mechanicals and that was my fault,,too low a hit. Deer lived I am sure. This season however I am toying with the idea of using Slick Tricks. They have a big following and I like the fact that the blades are easy to replace, even resharpen. I have used Rocket Sidewinders for years, but just about all of the broadheads have fans and those with bad stories.

Crazy but things happen.I have lost only one deer with mechanicals and that was my fault,,too low a hit. Deer lived I am sure. This season however I am toying with the idea of using Slick Tricks. They have a big following and I like the fact that the blades are easy to replace, even resharpen. I have used Rocket Sidewinders for years, but just about all of the broadheads have fans and those with bad stories.

Agree! I pretty much just stick to what i know works. And after this happened, i see there is no reason to change.

I tried the 3 blade bloodrunners last year and im sold on em. Seem foolproof and made a mess out my buck. Hit him a little back, he ran about 60 yds and laid down. I snuck out and came back an hour later and he was dead where he stopped.

I think the blood runners are a great concept, i just worry that they will not fly well at long distances. But for a deer hunting broad head, they would be great. You get the best of both worlds.

There is really nothing vital where that arrow went through. If there is such a thing as a "void" that is where it is. The heart is just forward of that point and lungs above it-liver behind it. Looks "good" but unfortunately didnt take anything vital.

If you aim straight up the leg you will hit heart and perhaps RIGHT in the pocket but low and behind the leg is nothing vital.

I have shot proghorn there and had to follow-up hours later as he stood from his bed. Wouldn't have killed him with first shot.
Good lesson though.

Straight up the leg-your gold.

I think the blood runners are a great concept, i just worry that they will not fly well at long distances. But for a deer hunting broad head, they would be great. You get the best of both worlds.

Right. I practiced with one out to 50 yds. Didnt have any problems. This will only be my fourth year bowhunting and have been fortunate enough to of killed a deer or two every year. Have yet to shoot further than 35 yds on a deer.

Top Bottom