Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Meeting?

loneranger

Wish I could have made it:mad: But what were the hot topics at the meetings? Besides pelicans? Or were there none?

It seemed deer and particularly concerns about deer numbers where discussed and concerns voiced from every meeting place. At the meeting I attended in Davenport we had a lively discussion about the Hush program and antlerless tags.

AS far as the HUSH program I did learn that the fee added to our tag is not covering the program. We were told that last year it cost the DNR an extra 50K. Considering their budget issues I support the program even less now.

The one potentially good idea, I think, that came out of our meeting place was some sort of restriction on how many antlerless tags a individual could buy at one time. The idea was to limit an individual to buying one tag per county. After that tag was filled and reported if there were still tags available you could buy another. I know it's not perfect but I think it's an idea with potential.

Other then that the possible Teal season, and waterfowl in general, was a very hot topic.

Seemed to be broad based support for allowing youth spring turkey hunters to use their tag throughout the spring season if unsuccessful during youth.

A couple of sites proposed bans on party hunting for deer.

A couple voiced support for keeping NR and NRLO deer regulations the same, no changes.

Opposition to/call to end Governor's tag program.

Pretty consistent across all sites to get "politics" out of game management decisions. Most aren't happy with the Gov being able to disregard changes proposed by the DNR when it comes to seasons and tag numbers.

You guys covered it pretty well. There was support across most, if not all locations, to:
1. eliminate the late antlerless season
2. reduce number of doe tags available
3. modify the HUSH program in one way or another
4. allow youth hunters to use their unfilled turkey tags during the regular turkey seasons

Top Bottom