Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Metal Building Advice

On my last post I was referring to having trusses in place where you can create an attic type atmosphere to keep the air fresh. If you are just using lams you may not be able to create this situation....

Thanks Tracker. When I finish my camp side I envision framing the rooms with standard 8 foot ceilings. Hoping to run duct work, etc on the flat created above. Am I ok doing that in your opinion.

Can anyone recommend a good trencher/septic installation contractor in SC Iowa. Wanting to get an idea of septic/water cost. Thanks as always.

Can anyone recommend a good trencher/septic installation contractor in SC Iowa. Wanting to get an idea of septic/water cost. Thanks as always.

I don't know anyone in SC Iowa, but I recently talked to someone at the county administration building in Davis County about septic systems, etc, and they had a list of approved installers that they sent me. So you might contact your county courthouse and I bet they would have a similar list.

From there though...I suspect that there are some good ones and bad ones that you could hopefully sort out with references, etc.

Ok guys here are some numbers that have come in from 5 different bids. The number for a 40 x 14 x 64 building, 4 inch concrete throughout, rough in plumbing, wainscoat, two foot hangover, 36 x 8 covered porch with poured concrete, one 12 x 12 uninsulated overhead door, and two man doors ranged from 41k to 47k; with 42.5 the average.

Also, electric service including 200 amp indoor breaker panel, 6 lamp T-8 high bay fluorescent fixtures, camper receptacle, and 8 standard receptacles is 3,100. Electric line will be in 500 foot trench with water line
Water line trenched 500 feet with connection inside building and working septic system is 9,010. Water company is charging 1,900 to dig under the road and install meter/shutoff on property.

All totaling the project will be about 56K. All contractors were fairly close to each other with the only big name building company called driving up the average with a price 20% higher than the others. Comment and suggestions appreciated.

Last edited:
Companies included Nisley Construction in Seymour, Bettis Construction in Albia, Numark Buildings I think near Oskaloosa, Hart Construction in Centerville and Proline again I think near Bloomfield. Everyone was very nice, seemed to know their business and fairly close in price.

If they were all that close I would ask for completed jobs that you can go look at and possibly talk to the customers to see how there experience was and see how the workmanship on the buildings look.
Workmanship examples, chalk lines left on buildings, screws vs. nails, how well windows and doors were trimmed and are they caulked. Quality of products installed, etc

I guess what I was trying to say above is that the quality of the building materials is pretty close to the same, its the workmanship that can either make it a good building or a piece of crap.

Top Bottom