Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Mid Day Hunts

Just wondering what strategies you guys have for mid day hunts. If I'm hunting from mid morning to mid afternoon, I'm usually sitting all day in one stand. Otherwise I might be switching stands or setting up/fine tuning a new location between hunts (bow nearby of course!).

May have several days this year where a mid day hunt is all I get, so wondering what you guys do. Not sure if stalking is the answer, but a lot of my days in the past have had little movement by my stands. Don't want to ruin the area by spooking everything out. Thanks!

I do not add to this site as much as I should but read it daily. I love midday hunts with full moon during the rut. This is a little secret that I have learned that I am sure a lot of people know. I think they run most of the night bed down until 10 or 11 and get up to stretch and do some searching. I have been able to see some bucks at this time and no other time during day light hours.

Best time of the day during full moon. You are better off sleeping in and going out at 9-1. Might not see as many, but big ones seem to roam around that time before their afternoon nap.

You didn't really specify what part of the season we are talking about. The only time I hunt mid day is during late pre-rut through the rut to the last week of Nov.

When I do this I try to be as close to a doe bedding area as possible without bumping them. Or a good funnel between two bedding areas.

I don't see much midday action associated with feeding areas, so you generally won't find me on a food source during midday.

I've seen some of my biggest deer around 11:00 - 1:30 checking bedding areas.

Now if we are talking about early and (or) late season, I don't hunt during those times a day.

The last 4 bow bucks I shot were at 11:27, 11:52, 11:32 and 4pmish. I see a lot of midday movement and not just during full moon. I am always deep in the timber except the 4pmish one was shot on a field edge.

You didn't really specify what part of the season we are talking about. The only time I hunt mid day is during late pre-rut through the rut to the last week of Nov.

When I do this I try to be as close to a doe bedding area as possible without bumping them. Or a good funnel between two bedding areas.

I don't see much midday action associated with feeding areas, so you generally won't find me on a food source during midday.

I've seen some of my biggest deer around 11:00 - 1:30 checking bedding areas.

Now if we are talking about early and (or) late season, I don't hunt during those times a day.

Guess any time during the season. I know there is a chance to see deer any time of the day throughout the season, but was wondering where people had the most action. My last bow buck was shot Nov. 10 about 9.45am. I've seen several decent bucks during the mid day, but usually not the big guys. Could be I'm in the wrong spots during that time.

Guess any time during the season. I know there is a chance to see deer any time of the day throughout the season, but was wondering where people had the most action. My last bow buck was shot Nov. 10 about 9.45am. I've seen several decent bucks during the mid day, but usually not the big guys. Could be I'm in the wrong spots during that time.

Hunt mid day from the very end of Oct thru Nov whenever you can and I will assure you in DUE TIME you will encounter a "big guy".

I used to have this belief that deer only moved early in the morning and late in the afternoon (I'm only 29 now, so imagine how much I thought I knew a few years back). Well I started getting serious about 5 years ago and decided I would sit all day instead of "pulling the pin" at 9:30 or 10am. Well I sat in an awesome funnel that morning if Nov. 2nd...10:30 rolls around and I have not seen a single deer. Well by the time noon comes around I have seen 7 different bucks on the trail of a hot doe, one of which was the largest we had pics of. Ever since then I have been a believer in mid-day or all day sits. My last 2 bucks have come just before noon.

I agree with the comments already made about good to very good buck movement in the midday, but for me, that has really only been true beginning in late October and through November. I personally would not invest much "midday time" until late October.

I still remember the first time I saw a really nice buck on his feet prowling around near the noon hour because as I was watching him the noon whistle blew in the nearest town and I couldn't believe what I was seeing because to that point all I had or heard was that deer move at first and last light, etc.

Bury yourself deep in the timber or in a good bottleneck between bedding areas and stay ready.

Hunt as much as you can as long as there is daylight. Season starts Oct 1 and stops Dec 5 now its up to each of to try and seal the deal

I'm the exception I guess. I've hunted countless all day hunts and have never seen a shooter between say 11 and 3.

Like many others have said, mid-day is prime time come late October thru November. Biggest buck I have ever shot was at 1:30 on November 11th and biggest I've ever seen was straight up noon on the 10th.

I'd give up morning and evening hunts to hunt mid-day if it was one or the other during that time frame. You get back in the good stuff and you will not have much action after 3-4 as they are moving out to the fields at that time.

Top Bottom