Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Mid-October Decoy

Ghost

Life Member
I just read about 4 years worth of posts on here about using decoys.

Most of the success stories seemed to be in early November when the rut was starting to kick in.

A couple posts were in the third week of October.

My question is this.....What kind of responses have any of you had to using a buck decoy in the middle of October?

This cold weather has me thinking there might be a good buck or two on their feet.

Has anyone had any experience decoying this time of year?

Any comments about decoying are welcome.

Thanks!
waytogo.gif

Ghost,
I think a buck decoy is a good idea and I am going to use one this weekend. Those big boys want to take out some aggression on something and with the hormone levels on the rise I think all it will take is one look.

Try a buck decoy this weekend. With the cool weather and becoming later in the year, it may work. I am going to try it at least one day. Monday, show us what you shot!
grin.gif

HunterMan
157RAtinybuck-thumb[1].gif

Buddy of mine watched two 120 class bucks sparring/lightly fighting in a grassy patch just off the highway two evenings ago! He said they were 40 yds from the road and maybe 20 yds from the timber. He said a 3rd buck, smaller 6 or 8 pt. was standing at the edge of the timber watching the other two. With the colder weather, I'd give the decoy a try.

Ghost--remember that the opportunistic MUZZLELOADER BOYS will be playing for the next few weeks- just a word of caution.
For your own well being put the decoy away for a couple week, antlers or not, its still pretty risky.
Just my opinion.

When they really start tearing up the scrapes is when I've had my best luck.Usually around the 3rd week of Oct.
I normally set up on a scrape line with my decoy in the wide open where it's easily seen.

I had 2 2 1/2 year olds under me last night pushing each other around.It made some good video.

[ QUOTE ]
I think a buck decoy is a good idea and I am going to use one this weekend.

[/ QUOTE ]

Limb - did you try your decoy over the weekend? I've never tried using one because I've heard of too many bucks being spooked by them.

Just curious...maybe I'm missing the boat?
confused.gif

I did and got it knocked over...
grin.gif

We have video of a 2.5 y/o that was just plain mad... he didn't know what to do first run off the spike or beat up the decoy...
grin.gif
After tough guy got done with the decoy he proceded to knock the crap out of some corn stalks that apparently were in the way. It was too much, I can't believe he didn't hear us laughing. I think the next two weeks with the testosterone building and the frustration of chasing it should be like closing time at the bar.
evil.gif

Paul,
I would add that they will spook deer. It just seems to be the individual temperment of the animal. They are not a cure all but they are a heck of a lot of fun. Especially in a pre-placed ground blind.

If the bucks are starting to get that aggressive you would think that rattling should start working.

I took my decoy out and i was doing a little light rattleing and grunting b/c the week before i had observed some bucks in a pushing match. The first night i had a small 10 pt come into 20 yards and then stare the decoy down before he took off. The next night i did a light rattle sequence with some grunts and had a fork-horn come trotting in, i didn't have the decoy up b/c i figured it would spook some does and i was going to try to shoot one. Deffinitley a blast.

After asking the question, I chickened out last weekend in using it.

Thinking I will give it a try this weekend though.
waytogo.gif

I'm taking mine out this weekend! This last two weeks of October are prime time for using decoys and calls.

[ QUOTE ]
Paul,
I would add that they will spook deer. It just seems to be the individual temperment of the animal. They are not a cure all but they are a heck of a lot of fun. Especially in a pre-placed ground blind.

[/ QUOTE ]

I expect decoys are like calling to some extent...for every buck that I'm able to call in...10 more ignore me...or get spooky on me.

Which leads me another question Limb...

Do you use calls along with the decoy?(rattling, grunt tube or doe bleat)

Do you change from a buck to a doe during the rut...or just stick with the buck?

Lastly...does your wife ever say " If you bring home one more decoy!!"
icon_sumo.gif
grin.gif

I use calling... Rattling, grunting, ect...

I will generally stop using a decoy when things heat up for one reason or another. Probably mostly due to the fact I am tired of hauling the darn thing around.
grin.gif
But buck during a the pre rut a buck and doe for the rut, then switch back to a buck for post. I would not hesitate to use a buck all of the time. The does seem to be more tolerant of a buck decoy than a doe in their territory for some reason.

My wife has given up... Really, between the goose decoys and turkey decoys she has lost track...
evil.gif

I was using a doe decoy with a bottle of urine under it when I shot this guy. He was so enamored of the decoy I think I could have jumped on his back. I almost felt sorry for him... ALMOST...
grin.gif

261998field.jpg

Top Bottom