Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Mid West Food Plots

Deere1

Anyone tried Mid West Food Plots? Bought some at the classic this year and got it in just in time. Plot looks good turnips are golf ball size or bigger and taste great too:) But have yet to see much activity yet. Hoping they hit
It late muzzy season. Plot size is around acre and half.

Anyone tried Mid West Food Plots? Bought some at the classic this year and got it in just in time. Plot looks good turnips are golf ball size or bigger and taste great too:) But have yet to see much activity yet. Hoping they hit
It late muzzy season. Plot size is around acre and half.

Just some thoughts here...you can purchase the same seed for a fraction of the cost at places like Welter seed. They will sell brassica and clover seed by the pound so you can buy exactly what you need without paying ridiculous prices.

Welter seed

MWFP sells a brassica mix that includes canola (rape), oil seed radish and purple top turnips for $51 an acre.

I plant a brassica mix of Dwarf Essex Rape, Groundhog forage radish (Daikon radish which is different/better then oil seed) and Purple Top Turnips for 1/2 that price...which is neither here nor there except that probably most of the people on this forum plant the same mix....just not from MWFP. Don't get caught up in "brands" and hype, instead know what crops you are planting for best results.

The second thing I would encourage is not to plant the whole field to one thing (like all brassicas)...plant a mix of crops that will keep deer coming all year rather then just during hunting season.

Divide your field and plant 10-20% white clover and split the rest in 1/2 between brassicas and a cereal grain mix of rye/oats/peas/radish and red clover. Brassicas are very prone to disease so must be rotated yearly and the rye/red clover mix is an excellent rotation and the two along with white clover will keep deer coming year around...that in turn adapts them to coming there making them easier to pattern and eventually to kill.

I would encourage you to read thru the following threads to learn more not only about brassicas and seed options but about habitat in general. :)

Getting Started

Cereal Grains and Cover Crops

Growing brassicas for whitetails

All about clovers

If your turnips are only golf ball size it sounds like they are planted to thick and perhaps were not fertilized but you'll still have a very attractive food plot during the late season..good luck :way:

Des Moines Forage and Turf also has individual seed and mixes for sale and is located in the Ankeny area for local pick up for guys in the central Iowa area that means no shipping which can add up. They are also a site sponsor and have great customer service. Their prices were also attractive compared to other companies I looked at this year.

http://www.dftseed.com/

Last edited:
Thanks for info that's why I like this site always learn something. I used the antler king brand clover plot around five years ago former employer gave me heck of a deal i really liked it lasted three years with mowing and fertilizing fourth year just wanted to try something new the beans and sunflower mix. It was pretty for birds but not much deer activity so went back to clover plot without discount :( but I have had alot more deer activity. Question about size of turnips most are golf ball to tennis ball size. I thought u did not want them to get much bigger harder for deer to eat? Anyway thanks for info and next time i plant clover I will check out the sources u recommended.

Top Bottom