Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Midday activity?

Jethro

Are you guys getting more midday activity now that the hens are going to nest? I was out this morning before work and had several gobbling until fly down, then they just shut up. I haven't been out since 2nd season and was just curious if anybody was hearing more gobbling at midday of afternoon. I'm hopfully going to get out of here early today to hunt all afternoon.

yesterday i hunted a public area i hunted in second season. there was a drastic change in gobbling activity.during second season they gobbled on the roost and shut up upon fly down. yesterday, they gobbled all the way up till 10 oclock when i left for class, i bet i heard over a hundred gobbles, there was at least seven across the river from me that would start a chain reaction throughout the whole river bottom. when i left at ten oclock the birds were still as hot as could be and when i went out at 1 oclock to find mushrooms at a different spot the same birds were still gobbbling up a storm. so where im hunting, it seems to be really picking up and im really excited about hunting saturday, im taking my girlfriend on her first hunt, so i know we will be into birds, goodluck and hope it changes for you about the gobbling.

Last Monday I heard lots of gobbles just about all day
waytogo.gif
. Today(Fri.), after flydown I heard less than 10 gobbles during the next 12 hours...
wall.gif
. Starting to see a lot of hens on the field edges now, wish they'd spend a litle more time on their nests.

Yesterday I hunted early morning to mid day and never heard a gobble. Today I hunted the same farm and heard 9 different gobblers off roost and half that when they hit the ground. The ones I heard on the ground were still at it as I walked out. Too bad I had to leave, I think I could have filled my Missouri Tag #2 but my list of things to do is not getting any shorter.

Saw and heard ALOT of action yesterday....but all the big boys are pretty henned up. Roosted a group of birds on Friday evening and got set up on them within a 100 yards on Saturday. They answered every call I would make....they would even cut me off and double and triple gobble.....but they were on a mission to follow the one hen they had and by 6:10 am they were way off on property I couldn't hunt. Watched several other birds that would answer my calls, but would stick tight to their hen. Came back in the afternoon and heard several birds gobbling.....a few more than in the morning. Called in a few hens...but luck would have it, they must have been the only hens in the neighborhood without any toms. All in all, a pretty enjoyable day....lots of birds....lots of gobbling during mid-day and afternoon......but nothing would come in.

i shot my first turkey at 4 in the afternoon, we just set up in the blind started calling and he came right in 50 yard shot and now he lives in my freezer!!
lynchstill.gif

Something I find kind of interesting is that all four of the birds I have shot have been in the afternoon. And they have all been from 4-5:30 in the afternoon. I guess that is probably just a cowincedince(no idea how to spell) but never the less it proves it can be done. I think the best thing to do is to set up in a area you know they will go. Feeding areas, strut zones, and around their roost trees. Also when I sit there I usually call very little. When I do I call pretty soft. I hope this helps and I hope everyone can fill their tag in the next four days.
smirk.gif

Top Bottom